The Quiet Distance That Can Grow Between Two People
Something God has taught me: quietness in a relationship doesn't always mean distance.
I've had to learn that silence doesn't automatically mean something is
wrong.
Sometimes silence is simply silence.
Sometimes it's rest.
Sometimes, it's an invitation to slow down, pay attention, and move
closer—instead of jumping to conclusions.
But I've learned not to stay stuck in disconnection.
When I feel that distance, I bring it to God before deciding what it
means.
Is something truly happening beneath the surface, or am I letting my
thoughts and emotions fill in the blanks?
That's where wisdom and discernment matter.
I've learned that a season of disconnection doesn't have to become
permanent.
Sometimes God uses it to get our attention—not to condemn us, but to
show us what needs attention.
It can push us to grow, to reach out, to have honest conversations,
and to draw closer not only to each other, but to God.
And sometimes God uses that space to show us what needs healing or reconnection.
Sometimes marriages don't fall apart in one dramatic moment.
Sometimes the distance happens quietly.
A little at a time.
You stop asking certain questions.
You stop telling each other certain things.
The conversations become about the children, work, schedules, bills,
dinner, and what needs to be done tomorrow.
You still live in the same house.
You still sleep in the same bed.
You still raise the children together, or you already have and now
share this quieter season.
You still go to work, come home, make dinner, handle responsibilities,
and keep life moving.
From the outside, everything may look completely fine.
You realize you're functioning together without really connecting.
That's what makes it so hard to recognize.
We tend to think distance looks like fighting.
Sometimes it does.
But sometimes distance looks like peace on the surface.
No screaming.
No huge arguments.
No obvious crisis.
Just two people who have gotten very good at functioning around each
other.
You become excellent teammates and poor companions.
You know who has practice, who needs to be picked up, and what bills
are due.
You can know almost everything about each other's schedule and very little about each other's heart.
I've been there.
There were seasons when I would spend time with God because there were
things my husband and I weren't telling each other.
Questions we weren't asking.
Conversations we were avoiding.
And little by little, our conversations could become more about what
needed to get done than about who we were becoming.
How are the kids?
What time is practice?
Did you pay that bill?
What are we doing this weekend?
Who is picking them up?
What's for dinner?
Important conversations, certainly.
But not necessarily the conversations our marriage needed.
Somewhere underneath all of the logistics were two people with
emotional lives that needed to be known.
And sometimes we didn't really know each other.
We were parenting.
We were working.
We were living life.
There is a difference between living life together and actually
sharing your life.
And I think that's where quiet distance can begin.
Sometimes it's busyness.
Sometimes it's exhaustion.
Sometimes it's the season you're in with children.
Sometimes it's work, financial pressure, or responsibilities that seem
to multiply overnight.
But sometimes the distance comes from hurt.
One person opens up and doesn't feel heard.
They try again and feel dismissed.
They bring something up, and the conversation turns defensive.
They share something vulnerable and later wish they hadn't, because it
becomes ammunition in another disagreement.
Eventually, you learn to keep certain things to yourself.
Not necessarily because you don't love your spouse.
Sometimes because silence feels safer than being disappointed again.
And that can be dangerous in a marriage.
Because when you stop bringing your heart into the relationship, you
can still keep bringing your responsibilities.
You can still make dinner.
Still pay the bills.
Still look like a perfectly functioning couple.
But something inside the relationship has become quiet.
And I don't think connection can exist without some measure of
emotional safety.
Not perfection.
Not agreeing on everything.
Not a marriage where we never hurt each other.
But knowing that I can come to my husband and tell him something
difficult without having to defend myself immediately.
Knowing that he can tell me something hard without me turning it into
an attack.
Knowing that when one of us says, "That hurt me," the other person
doesn't immediately have to prove why it shouldn't have hurt.
Sometimes love looks like listening long enough to understand before
trying to fix.
James 1:19 tells us to be "quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to
anger."
That verse isn't just useful when we're fighting.
I think it matters in the quiet places too.
Because sometimes our spouse isn't looking for a solution.
Sometimes they are simply asking to be known.
And that requires curiosity.
After years together, it's easy to assume we already know the person
we're married to.
But people change.
Life changes us.
Responsibilities change us.
Parenthood changes us.
Hard seasons change us.
God changes us.
The person you married years ago is still the person you married, but
they may be carrying things today that they weren't carrying then.
So sometimes connection means becoming curious again.
Not interrogating.
Not fixing.
Just asking.
How are you really doing?
What's been on your mind lately?
Is there anything you've been carrying that you haven't told me?
What do you need from me right now?
Sometimes those questions open doors we didn't realize had slowly closed.
Looking back, I don't think God was pulling me away from my husband in
those seasons.
I think He was preparing me to come back toward my husband
differently.
Coming back differently doesn't mean we have to agree on everything.
Marriage certainly doesn't work that way.
But it does make me think about whether we're still choosing to walk
in the same direction.
Are we still willing to move toward each other?
Are we still willing to be known?
Are we still willing to have the conversations we've been avoiding?
Distance doesn't always happen when two people stop loving each other.
Sometimes it happens because two people stop letting each other in.
What changed for us was learning to stay curious about each other
again.
Not one conversation.
Not one breakthrough moment.
Just a slow decision, made over and over, to ask the questions we'd stopped asking and tell each other the things we'd stopped telling.
And I'm grateful to say that isn't where my husband and I are today.
We've built routines that give us time together.
We do things that feel natural to us.
We have little ways of communicating with each other that remind us
that we're safe with one another.
One of ours is three kisses instead of one.
We say and do things that reassure each other, sometimes without even
realizing it.
Our connection doesn't feel like another task on our calendar.
It feels like us.
We're not just living in the same house anymore.
We're sharing our life inside it.
I think part of why this matters so much to me is because I am someone
who deeply values connection.
Quality time matters to me.
Conversation matters to me.
That continued sharing of life matters to me.
I don't just want to know that we're functioning well as husband and
wife.
I want to know what's happening in his heart, and I want him to know
what's happening in mine.
I want to know him beyond his roles.
Not just as my husband.
Not just as the father of our children.
Not just as the person who helps carry the responsibilities of our
home.
I want to know the person underneath all of that.
And I want him to know me that way too.
So when I sense even a slight disconnect, my instinct is usually to
move toward it.
I want to fix it.
I want to talk about it.
I want to figure out what's changed.
And I've learned something about myself in that.
Sometimes the disconnect is real.
And sometimes I can feel disconnected even when there's nothing
actually wrong.
Sometimes I'm tired.
Sometimes life is busy.
Sometimes my emotions are louder than the situation actually is.
Sometimes I overthink something that doesn't need fixing.
And sometimes I need to stop trying to figure it out myself and take
it to the Lord.
That has been important for me to learn.
Because I don't want to become so afraid of disconnection that I start
creating problems that aren't there.
I don't want every quiet moment to mean something is wrong.
I don't want to analyze every change in tone, every busy day, or every
moment when we're not as connected as usual.
But I also don't want to ignore that inner nudge when something
genuinely is off.
There is a difference.
I believe God can give us discernment about our marriages; sometimes
the Holy Spirit is prompting us to have a conversation, ask a question, or
address something we've been avoiding.
So I'm not saying, "Don't trust your gut."
I'm saying, take it to God before you decide what your gut is telling
you.
There have been times I've had to pray:
"Lord, is something actually wrong, or am I carrying something that
isn't mine to carry?"
Sometimes He shows me there is a conversation I need to have.
Other times, He settles my heart and reminds me that nothing is wrong.
We're simply tired.
We're busy.
We're human.
And I think there is freedom in learning the difference.
A quiet season doesn't mean something's missing.
Marriage is not supposed to be constant conversation, constant
romance, or constant emotional intensity.
There will be days when one of you is exhausted.
There will be seasons when life feels heavy.
There will be nights when you're both too tired to do anything except
sit next to each other and breathe.
That doesn't automatically mean something is wrong.
Sometimes healthy connection is simply knowing that you can have a
quiet day without questioning the entire relationship.
But when something does need attention, we don't stay there quietly.
That's something I treasure about where my husband and I are today.
We have built enough safety that I don't have to be afraid of every
little shift.
I can ask.
I can say, "Hey, are we okay?"
I can tell him, "I feel like we've been a little disconnected lately."
And I don't have to make it an accusation.
I can open the door.
Because sometimes the answer is, "Yeah, I've felt it too."
And sometimes the answer is, "I don't think we're disconnected. I've
just had a lot on my mind."
Both answers are okay.
The goal isn't to make sure we never feel disconnected.
The goal is to make sure we don't quietly stay there.
Maybe that's where I had to begin, too.
Not with a grand gesture.
Not with an expensive date night.
Not with pretending everything was wonderful.
Just with honesty.
There were seasons I felt like roommates without realizing it.
Seasons I stopped asking questions because I assumed I already knew
the answers.
Seasons I stopped sharing because it had become easier to keep things
to myself.
So I brought it to God before I decided what it meant. I asked Him
what needed attention.
Then I turned toward my husband.
I asked the question.
I let myself be known.
Because marriages don't stay connected by accident—they stay connected
when two imperfect people keep choosing to turn toward one another.
Not perfectly.
Not every time.
But again and again.
And I think that's what intimacy really looks like over time.
Not a marriage that never experiences distance.
But one where, when distance comes, we don't have to be afraid of it.
We can notice it.
We can talk about it.
We can find our way back.
And after all these years, that's one of the things I'm most grateful
for.
Still talking.
Still choosing each other.
Still sharing a life, not just a house.
Because connection isn't the absence of distance, it's the willingness
to notice it—and the courage to turn toward each other when you do.
.png)
.png)

Comments
Post a Comment