Who Are You Becoming When Nobody Is Watching?


 I remember one morning when I made breakfast for my husband and me, and we sat there talking and enjoying our meal. I looked at him and said, "I'm mad at you."

He looked at me like, "Why? What did I do this time?"

I started laughing and told him, "I had a dream."

He laughed too. "For real?"

Yes. Apparently, I had woken up upset with my husband because of something he had done in a dream. I'm sure in my dream he did something terrible. At least, whatever happened felt very real when I woke up.

But it was a dream. And yet, for a few minutes, I was carrying the emotion of something that never actually happened.

It made me think about how easily we can do that in marriage. Sometimes we create entire movies in our heads about our spouse. We assume what they meant. We fill in the blanks. We replay conversations. We build narratives around things they said, or didn't say.

And sometimes those stories aren't even based on something that happened. Sometimes they come from what we're watching.

Have you ever been scrolling through TikTok or Instagram and come across a video of a husband doing something sweet for his wife? Maybe he surprises her with flowers. Plans a date. Buys her something she mentioned wanting. Writes her a thoughtful note.

And suddenly you find yourself thinking: "Man, I wish you would do that for me." "How come you don't do things like that?" "Why don't we have what they have?"

I've done it. And I've had to become much more careful about what I allow myself to watch, because I can feel when something starts shifting my perspective in the wrong direction.

Sometimes I make a comment that sounds innocent. "Man, I wish you could do that for me." "How come you don't ever do this?" Maybe I'm asking a question. But I can sometimes see the uneasiness on my husband's face. Because even when I don't mean it as a criticism, it can still sting.

And that's when I have to stop and pay attention. Because what am I allowing to happen inside of me? What am I watching? What am I listening to? What am I comparing? What am I allowing to become an expectation for my marriage?

Social media can show me someone's best five seconds and make me question my husband's entire character. That's dangerous.

Social media can show me someone's best five seconds and make me question my husband's entire character.

Because I don't know that couple. I don't know what happened before that video, or after. I don't know what they have struggled through, or what they are still working through. I don't know what that husband has had to learn. I don't know what that wife has had to surrender.

I see a moment. And if I'm not careful, I can turn that moment into a measuring stick. And that's not fair to my husband. It's also not fair to me.

People do the same thing when they look at us. They see the version of our marriage that happens in public. They don't see the conversation we had before the picture, or the things we're still learning about each other. And that's okay. Our marriage isn't fake because people don't see the hard parts. It's just incomplete from their perspective.

I remember being out of town with my husband one time. He took me to a beautiful, upscale restaurant. We were dressed up, enjoying the atmosphere, talking, laughing, and enjoying each other. Everything was good.

And then, just like that, a comment changed the mood. I don't even remember exactly what was said anymore. But I remember the shift. One minute we were smiling. The next, there was an annoyed look. Then we were talking defensively. Then we were both upset.

And before we knew it, we weren't enjoying our dinner anymore. The silence took over. The mood was gone. We tried to finish our meal and eventually went back to our room.

And honestly, that's marriage sometimes. Things can shift quickly. Not because you don't love each other. Not because your marriage is falling apart. But because two people walked into that moment carrying their own thoughts, emotions, expectations, frustrations, and wounds. And whatever is happening inside of each person can affect what happens between them.

We eventually worked it out. The next morning at breakfast, we talked about it again, this time with more understanding and grace. We weren't trying to win. We were trying to understand. And eventually, we laughed about it.

We realized something important: we need to slow down enough to make sure we're understanding each other before we react to the shift. Because sometimes the problem isn't what was actually said. It's what we thought we heard. It's what we assumed. It's what we were already carrying into the conversation.

And that's what keeps bringing me back to this question: Who are we becoming when nobody is watching?

Because I used to think marriage would show me who I married. It's shown me who I am.

I used to think marriage would show me whom I married. It's shown me who I am.

It exposes things. Your patience. Your emotional control. Your selfishness. Your communication. Your fears. Your insecurities. Your ability to forgive. Your willingness to listen. Your humility. And sometimes, it reveals things about us that we would rather not see.

That's why the work can't only happen when we're standing in front of our spouse. There is work God wants to do in us when nobody else is around.

Some things are obvious. Other things are subtle. Some things we know we're doing. Other things we don't even realize are shaping us.

But if we're not honest with ourselves about what we're doing, the choices we're making, the behaviors we're allowing, and the voices we're listening to, how can we really be honest with God?

We can pretend. We can hide. We can ignore. We can justify. We can tell ourselves, "It's not that big of a deal. Nobody is watching anyway."

But God knows. And we know too.

And eventually, what is hidden has a way of bleeding into other places. It can bleed into our marriage. Our parenting. Our friendships. Our work. Our faith. Our ability to love people well. What happens inside of us doesn't always stay inside of us.

What happens inside of us doesn't always stay inside of us.

I know this because I've seen it in myself. There have been times when something was happening inside of me, and instead of dealing with it with God, I let it come out sideways toward my husband.

One time, I asked my husband to please buy some clothes for the kids. He said okay. Then one of our kids came in and said, "Oh yeah, I need some jeans." My husband started telling our child that he could take care of it.

And I interrupted him. "Please don't promise something you're not going to be able to do."

Our child walked away.

My husband looked at me and said something that I needed to hear. He told me he understood that I was upset, but asked how being mean about it was helping him, or helping him as their father.

I didn't have an answer. I just walked away. There wasn't some huge fight. There wasn't screaming. But later that night, I had to sit with God.

Because underneath my comment wasn't really the jeans. It was fear. Fear about money. Fear about not having enough. Fear about what we could and couldn't provide.

And instead of taking that fear to God or having an honest conversation with my husband, I let it come out as a sharp comment toward him, in front of our child.

That wasn't fair. It wasn't right. And I knew it. I had to ask God to forgive me.

Not because I was a terrible wife. Not because my husband was completely right and I was completely wrong. But because my fear was mine to deal with. And I had allowed it to spill onto someone who didn't deserve the way I spoke to him.

That's the kind of inner work I'm talking about. It's not always dramatic. Sometimes it's a comment. A tone. Sarcasm. A passive-aggressive remark. Something we say because we don't know how to say what we're actually feeling.

Sometimes we are hurt, and instead of saying, "That hurt me," we make a little comment designed to make our spouse feel what we're feeling. Sometimes we are disappointed, and we punish them with silence. Sometimes we're angry, and we withhold affection. Sometimes we're insecure, and we compare them to someone online. Sometimes we're afraid, and it comes out as control. Sometimes we're exhausted, and we give the people closest to us whatever is left.

And sometimes we know better. That's the part we don't always want to admit. Sometimes we know something isn't honoring God or our marriage, and we do it anyway because we're hurt.

We justify it. "Well, he should understand." "She deserved that." "He started it." "I'm tired of always being the one who…" And before long, our justification becomes more important than our obedience.

I don't want my fear to come out as control. I don't want my hurt to become cruelty. I don't want my frustration to become sarcasm. I don't want my disappointment to become distance. I want to bring those things to God instead, and be humble enough to listen when He shows me where I've been wrong.

That's why I have to pay attention to what I'm allowing into my heart. Proverbs 4:23 tells us to guard our hearts because everything we do flows from them. That isn't just about the big things. It's about the things that quietly shape us, and what we continually take in eventually affects what we give out.

And this isn't only about wives. It's about husbands too. I am responsible for what I bring into this marriage. He is responsible for what he brings into it. His character, his choices, his words, his obedience to God- those are his. And mine are mine.

My shortcomings don't excuse his, and his don't excuse mine. That distinction matters to me because I don't want this to sound like one spouse is supposed to carry the entire burden of the marriage. We both have our own work to do.

Marriage isn't one person doing all the inner work while the other person gets a free pass. We both have our own work to do.

That's actually one of the things I'm most grateful for in ours. We don't have a perfect marriage. We've misunderstood each other, had hard conversations, gotten things wrong. But we're both willing to look at ourselves, to apologize, to forgive, to keep seeking God. I can take responsibility for myself and still communicate when something hurts. I can work on my heart and still have boundaries. That's not keeping score. That's maturity.

Because the inner work we do with God is quiet, but it isn't small. When He brings clarity to me, it changes how I see my husband. When He softens my insecurity, I no longer need him to compete with someone else's highlight reel. When He steadies my fear, I loosen my grip instead of gripping tighter. When He humbles my pride, I can hear him without already defending myself.

I want that same tenderness for him too. Not because I need him to change so my life gets easier, but because I love who he becomes when God gets near him. I want God to reach the places in Him I can't reach, the way I want Him to reach mine.

Because my job was never to fix my husband. And his was never to fix me. Our job is just to stop hiding, and let God do what only He can do.

Our job is just to stop hiding, and let God do what only He can do.

And here's what I've come to believe, gently, after all of this: two people who stop avoiding their own hearts and actually let God near them don't become perfect. They become soft in places they used to be hard. Patient in places they used to snap. Quick to reach for each other instead of quick to defend. That's not a finished marriage. It's a healing one. And I think healing might be the most hopeful word I know.

Not because one mistake defines us. But because we are becoming someone. Every day, in the quiet, in the unseen places. And eventually, that person walks into the room with our spouse.

I want to bring the resentment, the fear, the comparison to God instead of pretending they aren't there. I want Him to show me where I've been wrong, and I want to be humble enough to listen.

Because that's what grace has looked like in our marriage. Not getting it wrong. But being willing to come back. To talk. To understand. To apologize. To laugh again. To try again. To let God keep changing us.

That night after the situation with the kids, I could have justified myself. I could have said, "But I was just being realistic." And maybe I was concerned about something real. But being concerned didn't give me permission to disrespect my husband.

Both things could be true. The concern was real. And my response was wrong. That's a lesson I'm still learning.

Both things could be true. The concern was real. And my response was wrong.

Sometimes the thing we're feeling is legitimate, but the way we handle it isn't. That's where God wants to meet us, not just in what we're feeling, but in what we're doing with it. That's the inner work. And it matters because what happens inside us eventually becomes what our marriage experiences from us.

So when nobody is watching, I want to be paying attention. Not obsessively, not living afraid that every thought makes me a bad wife, but honestly. I want to notice when my heart is shifting, when comparison is creeping in, when fear is speaking louder than faith, and bring it to God before I bleed it onto my husband.

Because I don't want to simply be a woman who looks like she has a good marriage. I want to be a woman who allows God to make me someone who can love well within it. And I want that for my husband too.

We don't have a perfect marriage. We have a real one.

We don't have a perfect marriage. We have a real one.

A marriage where two imperfect people are still learning each other, still getting things wrong sometimes, still laughing, still forgiving, still choosing each other, still seeking God. Not that we never struggle, but that we're both willing to let God work on us.

I don't want to become who people think I am. I want to become who God is calling me to be, and I want my husband to become who God is calling him to be.

I don't want us to measure our marriage by someone else's. I want us to look honestly at our own. Not asking, “Why don't we have what they have?" But asking, "God, what are You asking us to surrender? What are You teaching us? What are You growing in us?"

Maybe the goal was never to have a marriage that looks perfect from the outside. Maybe the goal is to have a marriage where what God is doing on the inside eventually becomes visible in the way we love each other. And that starts when nobody is watching.

So who are you becoming when nobody is watching?

Not who do you look like? Not what do people think of you? Not am I a good wife? Not am I a good husband? But who are you becoming? Because eventually, that person is going to walk into your marriage.

And I want the person my husband experiences to be the woman God is forming in me. Not perfect. Not finished. Not pretending. Still becoming.

And I want him to know that I'm not asking him to do work I'm unwilling to do myself. We're both responsible for our own hearts. We're both learning to surrender. We're both seeking God first. And we're both still becoming.

Comments

Popular Posts