What Are You Really Asking For?

 

I'm sure you've heard it said that when children express themselves in ways that seem disrespectful, mean, or rude, they're sometimes trying to communicate something much deeper that they don't yet have the language to express.
The behavior is what we see.
But underneath it, there may be a feeling, a need, a fear, or a hurt they don't know how to put into words.
And honestly?
We do the same thing in marriage.
We get better at disguising it.
We get upset because our spouse isn't romantic enough.
They're not helpful enough.
They don't listen.
They don't spend enough time with us.
And the list goes on.
But what if sometimes the complaint isn't the deepest thing we're actually trying to say?
What are you really asking for?
I learned this one early in our marriage.
There was a season when I was caught up in the thought that my husband just wasn't romantic enough.
I would get upset. I'd go through all the emotions. I'd think about what he wasn't doing and what I thought romance was supposed to look like.
And I remember praying about it.
I was asking God why this bothered me so much, praying something close to what David prayed: search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.
And the response I felt was so simple:
"Why is this so important to you?"
And then, almost as clearly:
"If this is important to you, then you do it."
At first, I thought, Okay… really?
But I agreed.
So during Valentine's season, I decided to do something fun.
I came up with the idea of giving my husband 28 gifts, one for each day.
And I got excited.
I planned them. I prepared them. Because he leaves for work very early, I would get up before him and sneak a gift into his work backpack for him to find.
Every day, I couldn't wait for him to discover what I had left for him.
And as the days passed, I began to notice something.
He started looking forward to each little surprise.
One morning, I rushed out of bed and realized I had forgotten to tuck the gift into his bag.
In the middle of the morning rush, I quickly handed it to him with a kiss before he headed out the door.
He looked at me with the biggest grin, a little-boy kind of smile, full of genuine joy and love.
And in that moment, something clicked.
He wasn't just happy about the gift.
He was deeply moved—because he knew he was seen, chosen, remembered.
He was cherishing the love, affection, attention, and thoughtfulness woven into each one.
It wasn't really about what was inside the wrapping.
It was about what the gift communicated:
I chose this for you.
I wanted to make you smile.
And honestly, I think God was showing me something I hadn't understood before.
I had been so focused on asking,
"Why isn't he romantic enough?"
But maybe the deeper question was:
"What am I really asking for?"
I thought I needed more romance.
But underneath that, I wanted to feel connected, pursued, and thought about.
I wanted those little reminders that said:
You matter to me.
I see you.
And I realized something else.
Sometimes we get so focused on the thing we aren't receiving that we never stop long enough to ask what our heart is actually longing for.
Maybe "You're never romantic" is really:
"I want to feel desired."
Maybe "You never help me" is really:
"I want to feel like we're a team."
Maybe "You don't listen to me" is really:
"I want to feel heard."
And sometimes we hand our spouse the complaint and expect them to decode the underlying need somehow.
And when they don't figure it out, we become even more frustrated.
But vulnerability is harder than criticism.
The complaint can feel safer.
Vulnerability doesn't.
Because when we tell someone what we really need, we give them access to a tender place in us.
And that can be scary.
But marriage can't become deeply intimate if we're always hiding the deepest thing we're trying to say behind criticism, frustration, silence, or scorekeeping.
Sometimes we're hoping our spouse will love us well enough to figure us out.
But they can't always.
Your spouse can adore you, cherish you, and still not understand the ache beneath your words or the need you haven’t named aloud.
They can be loving you the best way they know how while you're waiting for them to love you in a language you haven't actually taught them.
That doesn't mean your needs don't matter.
They do.
Sometimes love requires the courage to name them.
Not through accusation.
Not through "you always" and "you never."
But through honesty:
"This is what I miss."
"This is what I need."
"This is what I'm afraid to say."
But there's another side to this, too.
We have to be careful not to turn every feeling into a conclusion.
Feeling unwanted doesn't automatically mean you are unwanted.
Feeling ignored doesn't always mean you are being ignored.
Our feelings are real they matter. But the stories we attach to them aren’t always the whole truth. Sometimes the heart shouts louder than reality, and we must pause to discern what’s fact, what’s fear, and what’s the deeper ache beneath.
Sometimes a feeling is pointing to a genuine need.
Sometimes it's touching an old wound.
Sometimes there really is something happening in the marriage that needs to be addressed.
And sometimes it's a mixture of all three.
That's why we need wisdom.
We need to slow down before we assign motives, build an entire story around one moment, or decide we know exactly what our spouse meant.
Maybe instead of only asking,
"What did they do?"
we also need to ask:
What happened?
What did I feel?
What story did I tell myself about what happened?
What am I actually needing?
Those questions can change the conversation.
Because there is a difference between saying,
"Why don't you ever do anything for me?"
and saying,
"What I'm really trying to tell you is that I miss you."
Sometimes the most important sentence in a marriage conversation is the one that comes after the complaint:
"What I'm really trying to say is…"
And we need to learn to listen for that in our spouse, too.
Sometimes,
"You never put your phone down"
may really mean,
"I miss you."
Sometimes,
"You don't care"
may be an invitation to stop defending ourselves long enough to ask,
"Help me understand why you feel that way."
Marriage is learning not only how to speak, but how to hear.
But I also want to be clear about something.
Sometimes we do communicate clearly.
We name what hurts.
We explain what we need.
We have the difficult conversations.
Our spouse understands what we're saying.
And still, nothing changes.
The behavior doesn't change.
The effort doesn't change.
The pattern continues.
This isn't meant to suggest that every problem in marriage stems from poor communication.
Sometimes the issue isn't that our spouse misunderstood us.
Sometimes they heard us clearly and still chose not to respond, take responsibility, or make a change.
There is a difference between needing to learn how to express our hearts and being in a marriage where our honest communication is repeatedly ignored.
We can take responsibility for how we speak without taking responsibility for someone else's choices.
We can examine our own hearts without excusing harmful behavior.
And we can communicate with love while still recognizing that real change requires willingness from both people.
So the next time you're frustrated with your spouse, pause before you immediately hand them the complaint.
Ask yourself:
What am I really asking for?
Maybe beneath the frustration is a longing to feel loved.
To feel connected.
To feel chosen.
To feel safe enough to be known.
And maybe, sometimes, the thing you're asking your spouse for is something only God can ultimately settle in your heart.
That doesn't mean you don't communicate your needs.
It means you bring them to God first.
You let Him search your heart before you place everything you're carrying into your spouse's hands.
Because sometimes we're asking our spouse to fill a place in us that was never theirs to fill.
And that's not fair to them.
And it won't satisfy us.
We can love each other deeply without expecting each other to be God.
Marriage isn't two people perfectly meeting each other's needs.
It's two imperfect people learning to love each other honestly, communicate what is really happening in their hearts, and allow God to work in the places neither person can fix alone.
Sometimes we're fighting about what we can see because we're afraid to name what's underneath it.
I thought I was asking for romance.
What I was really longing for was to feel thought about.
And that's the invitation for us, too.
To go beneath the complaint.
Beneath the frustration.
Beneath the "you never" and "you always."
To get honest enough to say what we're really longing for.
Maybe the question isn't,
"Why aren't you giving me what I need?"
Maybe it's,
"God, what is my heart really asking for?"
And then,
what do I need to say to my spouse, and what do I need to surrender to You?
Because you don't have to say it perfectly.
You just have to be willing to say the deeper thing honestly.
And sometimes that is where healing begins, not because your spouse suddenly knows exactly what to do, but because what was hidden behind the complaint can finally be brought to light.
And you don't have to bring it there alone.
God already knows what's underneath.
He was there before you had the words for it.
And He is still there as you learn to say it.

Comments

Popular Posts