When We Stop Listening to Love
"Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." — James 1:19
There have been conversations with my husband where I wasn't really listening anymore.
I was waiting.
Waiting for him to finish so I could explain myself. Waiting for my turn to tell him what he got wrong. Waiting to defend what I said, what I meant, or why I reacted the way I did.
I could hear every word coming out of his mouth, but somewhere along the way, I had stopped listening.
And that's a hard thing to admit.
Because when you're hurt, listening can feel almost impossible.
Sometimes you're thinking, But you don't understand.
Sometimes you're thinking, That's not what happened.
Sometimes you're thinking, If you would just let me finish, you'd see why I'm upset.
And before you know it, the conversation isn't really a conversation anymore.
It's two people trying to be understood at the same time.
I've been there.
I've already sat across from my husband, preparing my response before he finished speaking. I've heard one sentence and immediately started building my defense around it. I've taken what he said and filtered it through what I was already feeling.
And sometimes I wasn't even listening to what he was actually saying.
I was listening to what I thought he meant.
There's a difference.
And that difference can change everything.
When the goal changes
I've learned that there's a moment in some conversations when something shifts. At the beginning, maybe we're trying to understand each other. Then one of us feels misunderstood. Then we feel hurt. Then we get defensive. And suddenly the goal isn't understanding anymore. The goal becomes proving. Proving that I'm right. Proving that he hurt me. Proving that my reaction makes sense. Proving he needs to see things the way I do. And once the conversation turns into a win-lose contest, somebody may win the argument, but the marriage doesn't. That's something I have had to learn. Because my husband isn't my opponent. He isn't someone I need to defeat just to finally feel heard. He's the person I said I would love. And sometimes loving him means putting down my defense long enough to hear what he's actually trying to tell me. That doesn't mean I have to agree with everything he says. It doesn't mean my feelings don't matter. It doesn't mean I stay quiet when something hurts. And it certainly doesn't mean ignoring unhealthy or hurtful behavior. Listening isn't surrender. Listening is love, making room for another person's heart before demanding room for my own.
What happens when we stop listening
When I stop listening, I start filling in the blanks. I assume his tone means something it may not mean.
I assume I know what he's thinking. I understand why he did that. I take one sentence and turn it into a conclusion about his character.
- He doesn't care.
- He never listens.
- I'm always the one.
- He doesn't understand me.
And once I've decided what his words mean, I stop allowing him to tell me what he actually meant.
I've done that. Maybe you have too. Sometimes we aren't responding to our spouse anymore.
We're responding to the story we've created about our spouse. And that story can become very convincing when we're hurt. That's why James 1:19 matters so much.
Quick to listen. Slow to speak. Slow to become angry.
Notice the order. Listen first. Speak second.
And anger doesn't get to drive. That's not always easy. Especially when you've been hurt.
Especially when you feel like you've explained yourself a hundred times. Especially when something in you is screaming, But what about me? I think sometimes God asks us to pause not because what we feel doesn't matter, but because He cares about what happens next. He cares about the words that come out of our mouths. He cares about how we handle our hurt. He cares about whether we use our words to build a bridge or build another wall.
The conversation underneath the conversation
Sometimes the words aren't really the whole conversation. Your husband says, "Y'u're upset again."
But what you hear is, You're too much. You say, "You never help me." But what you may really be trying to say is, I'm overwhelmed, and I need you.
He says, "I can't do anything right."But underneath that may be, I don't know how to make this better. You say, "Forget it." But what you may really mean is: "Please don't give up on me."
We can miss each other so easily. Not because we don't love each other.
But because hurt changes the way we hear. That's why sometimes the most loving thing we can do is slow the conversation down. "That's not what I meant. Can you tell me what you heard?" "I don't want to fight you. I want to understand you."
"Can we start over?" "I'm getting defensive. Give me a minute."
Those aren't signs of weakness. Sometimes they are signs that we're finally remembering who is sitting across from us. Not the enemy. Our spouse. The person we love.
The part that belongs to me
There is another side to this that I don't want to ignore. It's easy to read something like this and immediately think about what our husband needs to change. He needs to listen. He needs to stop getting defensive. He needs to communicate better.
Maybe he does.
But this devotional isn't asking me to take inventory of him.
It's asking me to take inventory of me.
What do I bring into the conversation?
- Do I listen to understand, or listen for something I can argue with?
- Do I let him finish?
- Do I interrupt because I'm afraid I'll forget my point?
- Do I assume his intentions?
- Do I bring five old arguments into one new conversation?
- Do I punish him with silence and call it needing space?
- Do I use words that I know will hurt because I want him to hurt the way I hurt?
Those are uncomfortable questions.
But honest questions can lead to honest change.
And I don't have to answer for him. Neither does he get to answer for me. He is responsible for what he brings into our marriage. I am responsible for what I bring into it. That's where humility begins. Not with "Look what he needs to fix."
But with,
"God, show me what You want to change in me."
Heart Reflection
Before you respond, ask yourself:
- Am I listening to understand, or listening to defend myself?
- Have I already decided what he meant before I've really heard him?
- Am I trying to make him understand my heart while refusing to make room for his?
- What would change in this conversation if I cared more about understanding than being right?
And maybe the hardest question:- If love were leading this conversation, what would it sound like coming from me?
- Am I listening to understand, or listening to defend myself?
- Have I already decided what he meant before I've really heard him?
- Am I trying to make him understand my heart while refusing to make room for his?
- What would change in this conversation if I cared more about understanding than being right?
- If love were leading this conversation, what would it sound like coming from me?
For Today
- Today, practice listening without preparing your response.
- When your husband is talking, let him finish. Don't interrupt. Don't rehearse your defense while he's speaking. Just listen.
- You don't have to agree with everything he says. You don't have to solve it immediately.
- Simply let him know: "I hear you. Help me understand."
- Sometimes the conversation changes when one person stops trying to win long enough to listen.
- And sometimes that one person can be you.
When we stop listening to love
I don't want to be a wife who knows how to communicate but forgets how to love.
I don't want to know all the right phrases and still make my husband feel like he has to defend himself every time he opens his mouth. I don't want to win arguments at the expense of tenderness.
I don't want to prove my point and miss his heart. I want to learn to listen differently.
Not perfectly. Not every time. But increasingly.
I want to hear the words underneath the words. I want to notice when I'm becoming defensive.
I want to recognize when I'm no longer listening and have the humility to stop.
I want to be able to say, "I don't agree with you, but I want to understand why you feel that way."
Because understanding isn't the same as agreement. And listening isn't the same as surrendering.
Sometimes listening is simply saying,
"Your heart matters to me, even when we're not seeing this the same way."
That's the kind of marriage I want to keep building. Not one where we never disagree.
Not one where we never hurt each other. But one where, even in the hard conversations, we remember that we're on the same side. Because love doesn't always sound like having the perfect response. Sometimes love sounds like, "Tell me again. I want to understand."
Prayer
God,
You know how quickly I can become defensive. You know the moments when I stop listening because I'm already preparing my response. Forgive me for the times I've cared more about being understood than understanding. Help me be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry. When I'm hurt, keep me from using my words to wound or punish. Give me the humility to pause, the wisdom to listen, and the grace to remember that my husband is not my enemy. Help us have hard conversations without becoming hard toward each other. Teach us to ask questions instead of assuming, to apologize when we're wrong, and to choose each other even when we don't see things the same way. God, work on what needs changing in me, not just what I want changed in him. Make me more patient, more honest, and more willing to listen. I don't want to win an argument and lose closeness. Teach me to love him well, especially in the hard conversations. Amen.
.png)
.png)

Comments
Post a Comment