When God Met Me at the Sink What He Taught Me About Marriage, Grace, and Carrying Life Together


I remember a season when my kids were little, and I was overwhelmed.

Mommy duties. House duties. Wife duties. All of it seemed to pile on top of me until I couldn't tell where one role ended and the next began.

I was tired. Not just physically tired, but the kind of tired that reaches into your heart.

One morning, I stood at the kitchen sink doing dishes while worship music played. Tears began sliding down my face while my hands kept moving through the water.

I felt unseen. I felt unappreciated. I felt alone in a house full of people who loved me.

So I began talking to God.

"He's not helping. Doesn't He see everything I do? Doesn't He see me?"

And somewhere in the middle of my frustration, God began changing my perspective.

A question came to my heart:

Are you his helpmate?

Not, Are you doing enough?

Not, Is he doing enough?

Not, Who is carrying more?

But, Are you trusting Me with what I have entrusted to you?

That question stopped me.

I had been looking at my marriage through the lens of what I could see. My workload. My exhaustion. My responsibilities.

But God was reminding me that I couldn't see everything my husband was carrying either.

He wasn't asking me to become smaller. He wasn't asking me to become silent. He wasn't telling me my needs didn't matter. He was teaching me to stop measuring our marriage by who was carrying more and start looking at whether we were still walking in the same direction.

And I realized something:

I had been listening to a lie that I was carrying everything alone.

God began reminding me that I was not alone. Not then. And not now.

The Truth

Marriage doesn't always feel equal. There are seasons when one person has more strength, more energy, more capacity, or simply more to give. There are seasons when one spouse carries more physically while the other carries more emotionally. There are seasons when one person is struggling and needs to be carried. And then the season changes.

The person who needed help becomes the one with strength to give it. That's not necessarily an imbalance. Sometimes that's simply what it means to be one. Scripture says:

“Two are better than one… If either of them falls down, one can help the other up.”
— Ecclesiastes 4:9–10

Notice that Scripture doesn't say both people will always have the same strength.

It says that when one falls, the other is there. That's the beauty of partnership. The goal isn't to make sure the scale never tips. The goal is to know you're on the same team when it does.

Heart Reflection

Where are you tired right now?

  • Maybe it's motherhood.
  • Maybe it's work.
  • Maybe it's the house.
  • Maybe it's emotional exhaustion that nobody else can see.
  • Maybe you've quietly been thinking:

"I'm doing everything."

"Nobody notices."

"Why do I have to be the one?"

Before you criticize yourself for feeling that way, pause.

God isn't afraid of your honesty. He met me in my frustration at the kitchen sink.

He didn't condemn me for being tired. He showed me what was happening inside my heart.

Sometimes legitimate exhaustion can become resentment when we carry it silently for too long.

Sometimes we stop asking for help and start keeping score. Sometimes we stop seeing what our spouse is carrying because we're consumed with what they aren't carrying.

And sometimes the person we thought was our problem is actually the person God is asking us to learn how to partner with. That doesn't mean ignoring real problems.

It doesn't mean pretending everything is okay. It doesn't mean tolerating mistreatment.

It means bringing our honest needs to God and then having honest conversations with our spouse without turning those conversations into a courtroom.

There is a difference between:

"I need help."

and "Look at everything I do and everything you don't."

One invites your spouse closer. The other creates distance.

So today, ask yourself:

  • Am I asking for help, or am I keeping score?
  • Am I seeing what my spouse is carrying, or only what they're not doing?
  • Have I allowed resentment to tell me a story that God never told me?

And perhaps the hardest question:

Have I been looking to my spouse for something only God can give me?

Your spouse cannot be the source of your worth. They cannot always see everything you sacrifice.

They cannot carry every burden inside you. But God can.

And sometimes surrender begins with simply saying:

"Lord, You see what nobody else sees.”

Application

Name what you're carrying.

  • Don't minimize it.
  • Tell God the truth.
  • Write it down if you need to.
  • What feels heavy right now?

Ask for help before resentment builds.

  • Your spouse isn't supposed to read your mind.
  • Instead of silently collecting evidence, communicate clearly:

"I need help with this."

 Stop keeping a running total.

Notice when your thoughts become:

  • I always...
  • They never...
  • I do more...
  • They don't appreciate...
  • That's your invitation to stop and surrender the scorecard.

 Look for what you may not see.

Ask:

"What might my spouse be carrying that I don't know about?"

You don't have to excuse wrong behavior to practice compassion.

Remember that seasons change.

You may be carrying more today. Tomorrow, your spouse may carry more.

Marriage isn't about proving who contributed the most. It's about remaining faithful to one another through changing seasons.

Invite God into the middle.

Before you ask God to change your spouse, ask Him:

"Lord, what are You trying to show me?"

That question doesn't mean your spouse has nothing to work on.

It simply means you're willing to let God work on you too.

Sit With This

Maybe your marriage doesn't need another scorecard. Maybe it needs two people willing to put the scorecard down. Maybe your spouse doesn't need you to prove how much you've carried. Maybe they need to know:

"I'm still beside you."

And maybe you need to hear the same thing from them. The weight won't always be equal.

The responsibilities won't always be divided perfectly. The seasons won't always look the way you expected. But you don't have to face them alone.

You were never meant to carry life by yourself.

And neither was your spouse.

A Prayer for Marriage 

Father,

You see what I carry, even when no one else does. You see my exhaustion, my needs, and the places where I've begun keeping score. Help me release resentment and see my spouse with compassion. Teach me to communicate my needs with honesty, to ask for help without accusation, and to love without keeping a ledger. When my spouse is weak, help me strengthen them. When I am weak, give me the humility to receive their strength. Remind us that we are on the same team, and when the weight shifts, help us carry it together with You at the center. Amen.


Comments

Popular Posts