Beneath the Complaint
Scripture "Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts." — Psalm 139:23
Sometimes the complaint coming out of our mouths isn't the deepest thing happening in our hearts.
"You never make time for me."
"You don't help me."
"You're not romantic."
"You don't listen."
But underneath those words might be something much more vulnerable:
I miss you.
I want to feel chosen.
I want us to be a team.
I want to feel heard.
I want to feel loved.
That doesn't mean every complaint is wrong. Sometimes there really are problems in a marriage that need to be addressed. Sometimes we've communicated clearly, and the other person still chooses not to respond or change.
But before we assume we know exactly what our spouse is doing or why they're doing it, we can invite God to search our own hearts.
What am I really feeling?
What am I really needing?
What story am I telling myself about what happened?
Is this about what is happening right now, or is something older being stirred up in me?
Those questions aren't meant to silence us.
They're meant to help us become honest.
Because sometimes we fight about what we can see, afraid to name the thing underneath it.
And sometimes the most honest thing we can say isn't, "You never…"
It's, "What I'm really trying to tell you is…"
God cares about what is happening in your marriage, but He also cares about what is happening inside of you.
Bring both to Him.
Let Him search the places you don't fully understand yet. Let Him heal the places your spouse was never meant to heal. And let Him give you the courage to communicate what your heart is really trying to say.
You don't have to hide the deeper thing from God. He already knows it's there.
Reflection
- What complaint have you been carrying toward your spouse lately?
Now ask God:
"Lord, what is my heart really asking for?"
Prayer
God, search my heart. Show me what is beneath my frustration, my expectations, and my words. Help me recognize what I need to communicate, what I need to heal, and what I need to surrender to You. Give me the courage to speak honestly and the humility to listen well. Help me love my spouse deeply without expecting them to be God. And where there are places only You can reach, meet me there. Amen.
.png)
.png)

Comments
Post a Comment