When God Turns the Mirror Toward Me
"Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts." — Psalm 139:23
It's easy to pray for God to change someone else. Especially when we're hurt.
We can see exactly what needs to be different. We know what they said, what they did, what they should have done, and what they need to understand.
And sometimes, we're right. But there are moments when we come to God, asking Him to change our spouse, and instead He gently turns the mirror back on us. Not to shame us. To change us. That can be uncomfortable.
Because I can point out what my husband needs to work on while completely overlooking the places God is asking me to grow.
I can be right about the problem and still have the wrong response.
I can have legitimate hurt and still carry unforgiveness.
I can want better communication while refusing to listen.
I can ask for more grace while struggling to give it.
I can pray, "God, change him," when God may be whispering, "Let Me change you."
That doesn't mean we ignore problems in our marriage. It doesn't mean we excuse unhealthy behavior or pretend everything is okay.
It means we recognize that I am responsible for my obedience, not my spouse's.
Galatians 6:4 tells us to examine our own actions. Jesus challenged His followers in Matthew 7 to deal with the log in their own eye before focusing on the speck in someone else's.
That is not about ignoring the speck.
It's about letting God search me first.
Sometimes the most spiritual thing I can do in my marriage isn't another conversation, another explanation, or another attempt to make my husband understand.
Sometimes it's getting alone with God and asking:
"Lord, what are You trying to show me about me?"
- What do I need to surrender?
- What attitude needs to change?
- Where am I holding onto resentment?
- Where am I trying to control something that belongs to You?
- Where do I need to apologize?
- Where do I need to extend grace?
Where am I asking my spouse to become more like Christ while resisting the work Christ is doing in me?
Marriage is not two finished people who have finally figured everything out.
It's two imperfect people who need Jesus.
And maybe that's part of the beauty of it.
God can use marriage to expose things in us we didn't know were there—not because He wants to condemn us, but because He loves us too much to leave us unchanged.
So today, before you make another mental list of what your spouse needs to change, pause.
Take that list to God. And then ask Him to show you yours.
Not because everything is your fault. Not because your spouse has nothing to work on.
But because you can only surrender your own heart.
You cannot change your spouse. You cannot make them grow. You cannot force them to forgive, communicate, soften, or choose differently.
But you can say:
"Lord, start with me."
And sometimes, that's where God begins doing a work in a marriage that neither spouse could accomplish by trying to change the other.
Reflection
- What have I been asking God to change in my spouse that I need to surrender to Him?
- What might God be asking me to change, release, forgive, or surrender?
Prayer
Lord, search my heart before I spend another moment examining someone else's. Show me where I need to grow, where I need to surrender, and where I need Your grace. Help me love my spouse without trying to control or remake them. Give me wisdom to address what needs to be addressed, humility to own what belongs to me, and trust to leave their heart in Your hands. Start with me, Lord. Amen.
.png)
.png)

Comments
Post a Comment