What If the Person Who Needs to Change Isn't Always the Person You're Watching?
Sometimes we don't realize how consumed we've become with what is missing in our marriage.
The things we need. The things we wish were different. The things we believe our spouse needs to change or improve.
We notice the tone. The attitude. The lack of affection. The lack of communication. The things they forgot to do. The things they said wrong. The things they didn't say at all.
We notice what they should have done, what they could have done differently, and what we wish they would finally understand.
And before we know it, we're no longer simply living in our marriage. We're evaluating it. We're measuring effort, keeping mental notes, and counting what's missing.
And the more consumed we become with what our spouse isn't doing, the easier it becomes to overlook what God may be asking us to do.
If they would listen. If they would communicate. Suppose they would make more of an effort if they would stop doing that. If they changed, maybe things would finally be different.
And sometimes we become so focused on the changes we need to see in our spouse that we don't realize we've made their transformation the condition for our own.
"I'll change when they change." "I'll soften when they soften." "I'll try when they start trying."
But Scripture keeps bringing us back to a different place. It's an invitation to ask a better question.
"God, what is mine to carry, and what is theirs?"
Because there may be things your spouse genuinely needs to change.
There may be conversations that need to happen.
There may be patterns that need to be confronted.
There may be wounds that need to be acknowledged and boundaries that need to be established.
And this is important, because surrendering my need to control my spouse is not the same thing as surrendering wisdom or discernment.
If you are in a marriage where there is ongoing abuse, intimidation, violence, or you are not safe, this message is not a call to endure harm, stay silent, or try harder to change yourself.
God does not ask you to protect the appearance of a marriage at the expense of your safety.
Seeking wise, trustworthy help and establishing healthy boundaries can be part of walking in truth.
Grace does not mean pretending those things aren't there.
But neither does marriage permit us to make our spouse's shortcomings the center of our lives.
At some point, we have to stop standing over our spouse with a list of everything they need to fix and allow God to search our own hearts.
"What if I'm trying to change the wrong person?"
What if I've been so consumed with what my spouse needs to change that I've stopped letting God examine me?
What if the question isn't only, "When are they going to change?"
What if I also need to be asking, "God, what are You trying to change in me?"
I didn't fully understand the weight of that question until I watched God work it out in someone else's marriage.
I learned this in a way I'll never forget.
There was a season when I met someone who was going through an incredibly difficult time in her marriage. Their relationship was getting close to the brink of divorce.
At the time, I wasn't trying to be anyone's marriage counselor. I wasn't looking for an opportunity to get involved in someone else's problems.
I was trying to obey God.
I felt prompted to speak with her about her marriage. And, honestly, it wasn't received very well.
But I couldn't shake the feeling that God was asking me to do it.
I remember one day actually chasing her into the parking lot. I asked her to please do something I had challenged her to do.
I told her to try a 30-day "husband project."
Not a project to change her husband.
A project to change her response to him.
For 30 days, I asked her to intentionally perform acts of kindness for her husband, even if he didn't acknowledge them or respond the way she wanted, even if she didn't immediately see a difference.
The point wasn't to manipulate him into changing.
The point was to ask, "God, what can You change in me?"
And she did it. She was obedient.
And somewhere in that process, God began doing something neither of them could manufacture on their own. He began changing hearts. Her heart. And her husband's heart.
It wasn't a quick fix. Both of them were seeking God. Both of them were praying for each other. Both of them fought for their marriage and surrendered it, daily, to the Lord.
Today, they are still married. Not only are they still married, but they have also become very good friends of ours, and our families have been incredibly blessed by that friendship.
There have even been times they've told us that they believe what I said helped save their marriage.
But I always want to correct that.
I didn't save their marriage. God did.
I was simply obedient. She was willing to listen. And most importantly, she allowed God to work on her instead of spending all of her energy trying to work on him.
And maybe that's why the phrase "Don't be your partner's Holy Spirit" hits differently for me now because I understand how easy it is to become consumed with the work God needs to do in someone else.
We take the person we married and turn them into a project. We see what they need to change, what they need to work on, how they should respond, what they should understand, and how they should love us.
We start thinking, If I can just get them to see this... I'll explain it one more time. If they would do this differently...
But here's the thing: God is not only concerned with what needs to change in my husband. He's also concerned with what He's doing in me.
Scripture had already been challenging me in this very area.
Jesus' words in Matthew 7 about the log and the speck have always been familiar to me, but there is something different about reading them when you're frustrated with your spouse.
It's easy to see the speck.
It's much harder to stop and ask God to show me the log in my own eye.
And that doesn't mean the speck isn't real. It doesn't mean my husband's struggles don't matter or that I should ignore things that need to be addressed.
Jesus wasn't teaching us to pretend problems don't exist.
He was teaching us to deal honestly with our own hearts first.
Philippians 2 challenges me to look beyond my own interests and consider someone else's.
Galatians 6 tells me to examine my own work.
And when I put those Scriptures together, I can't escape the same question: What is God asking of me?
Not what is He asking my husband to do. Not what does my husband need to understand. Not when is my husband finally going to change.
What is God asking of me?
That's a much harder question when I'm convinced I'm the one who has been wronged.
Because I can be right about what my husband did and still be wrong about how I'm responding to it.
I can have a legitimate hurt and still have something God wants to heal in me.
I can want change in my marriage and still need to allow God to change me first.
He's shaping both of us to become more like Christ.
Working on our hearts. Our pride. Our patience. Our forgiveness. Our capacity to love when things aren't going our way.
This isn't something we accomplish by trying harder to become better spouses.
We are being changed by His grace, through His Spirit, as He teaches us to put off the old and put on the new.
The goal isn't simply a healthier marriage.
It's becoming more like Jesus, and sometimes marriage is one of the places He exposes just how much we still need Him.
Something that really challenged me was realizing that I was never meant to be my husband's Holy Spirit.
I wasn't called to be his life coach, his trainer, his fixer, or the person constantly pointing out where he needed to grow.
I was called to be his helpmate. And there is a difference.
Being a helpmate doesn't mean standing over my spouse, constantly correcting him into becoming the man I think he should be. It means walking alongside him, encouraging him, praying for him, loving him, and speaking the truth when God gives me the opportunity. And, most importantly, allowing God to be the One who works in his heart.
I want my husband to see something of God through the way I love him. Not because I have everything figured out. Not because I always respond perfectly. But because when I show patience, grace, forgiveness, humility, kindness, and love, I want my spouse to experience something of who God is through me. And the same is true for him toward me.
God didn't put us together so that we could spend our lives trying to remake each other.
And that is where this becomes personal for me, because I've been guilty of trying to be my husband's Holy Spirit too.
There have been times when I've gone to God, frustrated with my husband, and, if I'm honest, I've sounded more like an attorney presenting a case than a wife coming before her Father.
"God, but he did this." "He should have done that." "He could have handled it differently." "If he would just..."
I've vented. I've explained. I've justified my own behavior because of what he did or didn't do. Because he wasn't doing what I thought he should do. Because he could have done something differently. Because he should have known better.
And somehow, my list always seemed much longer for him than it was for me.
That was my case.
And the beautiful thing about God is that He doesn't shame me for bringing all of that to Him.
He meets me with such tender mercy. He lets me vent. He lets me pour it all out. He lets me tell Him exactly what I'm thinking without requiring me to clean myself up first.
But then, when I've finished making my case, sometimes there is a quiet question that settles over my heart:
"Why is this so important to you?"
Not, "Why is your husband doing that?" Not, "Why hasn't he changed?"
But, "Why is this so important to you?"
And suddenly, the conversation isn't about my husband anymore. It's about me.
What am I holding onto? Why do I need to be right? Why am I allowing his response to determine mine? What do I need to release? What do I need to forgive?
That's a humbling question. Because sometimes we spend so much time asking God to work on our spouse that we don't notice He has been working on us all along.
That doesn't erase what's genuinely wrong, or excuse it. It means understanding the difference between loving someone and trying to control them.
I can love my husband without trying to remake him, speak truth without trying to force change, and pray without trying to manipulate the outcome. I can extend grace without pretending nothing is wrong.
And I can trust that the same God who is working in him is also working in me.
Love your spouse for who they are, not for who you wish they would become.
Your spouse isn't your project. They are a person, a person with their own wounds, weaknesses, choices, responsibilities, and relationship with God. And you are a person too. We're not finished products. We're two imperfect people, still being shaped by God, learning to love each other as He changes us both.
You are not Jesus. You cannot rescue your spouse. You cannot transform their heart. You cannot make them become who you think they should be. That's Jesus' job.
Not because He doesn't see what our spouse needs to change. He does. But because we are responsible for our obedience, not theirs.
And when we stop trying to be our spouse's Holy Spirit, we make room for God actually to be God in our marriage.
I can't surrender my husband's heart for him. I can't make him grow. I can't make him forgive. I can't make him communicate. I can't make him choose differently.
But I can surrender my own heart. I can choose obedience. I can choose grace. I can choose forgiveness. I can choose love. And I can ask God to keep changing me.
So before you spend another day planning how to fix your spouse, pause. Before you rehearse everything they need to do differently, pray. Before you make another list of their shortcomings, ask God to show you your own.
Because maybe the most important question in our marriage isn't, "When will they finally change?"
Maybe it's, "God, what are You asking me to release, forgive, surrender, or change?"
That's a very different prayer. And sometimes, it's where the healing begins. Not because you fixed them. Not because you rescued them. Not because you became their Holy Spirit. But because you both finally gave God room to do what only He can do.
.png)
.png)

Comments
Post a Comment