Staying in the Conversation (Not the Argument)
If you've been married for any length of time, you know: loving someone and truly understanding them don't always go hand in hand. That's where the hardest conversations and the choice to keep showing up for each other, not just keep fighting, begin in marriage.
You can love your spouse deeply and still sit across from them thinking, How did you hear it that way?
You can know their heart and still be frustrated by their perspective.
You can be completely convinced that you're explaining yourself clearly while they're sitting there hearing something entirely different.
It's one of the strange mercies of marriage. Two people can live the same moment and walk away with two different stories about what just happened, and both of them can be telling the truth as they experienced it.
My husband and I have been married long enough to know that marriage isn't just about the good days. It's also about what we do when we're tired, frustrated, hurt, misunderstood, or walking through something neither of us knows how to fix yet.
Those are the days that actually shape a marriage. Not the easy ones. The ones where you're both a little raw and have to decide, again, whether you're going to reach for each other or brace against each other.
In those not-so-easy conversations, we've learned that choosing connection over conflict changes everything. We keep coming back to this: "Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace" (Ephesians 4:2–3). The tools we use now the pauses, the prayer, the coming back are woven into the fabric of our marriage.
None of it came naturally at first. We had to practice, fumble, and circle back to these skills again and again before they felt like ours instead of something borrowed from a workbook. Each time, we found that real change took more than just effort; it took prayer and surrender to God. Before the hardest conversations, we've learned to pause, pray, and hand it all over. That surrender makes space for grace to show up between us.
Let's be real: who actually wants to have hard conversations, especially when you've tried before, you're hurting, or your spouse has hurt you deeply? Sometimes the last thing you want is another round of talking. But the truth is, avoiding those conversations never brings peace. It just lets the distance grow. Returning to the table rather than shutting down or getting stuck in the argument is what keeps your hearts connected, even when it's hard.
Now, I want to be honest about something.
We are not a fighting couple. And I don't mean that because we never disagree. We do.
We have hard conversations. We have moments when we're frustrated with each other. We have conversations that are uncomfortable and sometimes intense. I jokingly call it "intense fellowship."
But we made a decision together a long time ago that we wouldn't become enemies just because we were angry.
We wouldn't call each other names.
We wouldn't yell at each other.
We wouldn't use our words as weapons.
Ephesians 4:29 reminds us: "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what helps build others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."
And we wouldn't let anger give us permission to lose control.
That decision didn't come out of a season when everything was easy. It came out of watching what happens to a marriage when two people forget they're supposed to be on the same team. We didn't want to become people who won arguments and lost each other.
That doesn't mean we've mastered it. It means we've decided it's worth fighting for our marriage rather than fighting against each other.
There's a difference between a hard conversation and a hurtful one. A hard conversation deals with something real; a hurtful one deals damage. We've had to learn, on purpose, how to have the first kind without sliding into the second.
And believe me, we are very different people.
My husband is calm. I am... not always calm.
I know my own temper well enough to know that when I get pushed too far, I need to step away. Not because I'm done with the conversation, and certainly not because I'm trying to punish him.
I need a moment. I need to breathe. I need to process.
Most importantly, I need to take it to God before I let my emotions decide what comes out of my mouth.
That last part matters more than the rest of it combined. Stepping away to cool off is good advice. Stepping away to hand my emotions to God before I speak changes what happens when I come back to the table.
Because if I only wait until I'm calm, I'm still the one steering. And I have said plenty of things in a calm voice that I still needed to repent for later. Calm isn't the same as surrendered.
My husband is almost the opposite. He tends to keep things in. He'll process quietly, and sometimes I have to ask, "What's going on? Talk to me."
For years I misread his quiet as him being fine, or worse, as him not caring enough to engage. It took me a while to understand that his silence wasn't absence. It was just a different pace than mine.
So we've had to learn each other.
I've had to learn that taking a moment doesn't mean avoiding the conversation. He's had to learn that keeping everything inside doesn't make the conversation disappear.
We've both had to learn that there is a way to bring something up without making the other person feel like they're standing trial.
That last one took real practice. It's easy to open with the evidence, everything he said, everything he did, laid out like a case. It's much harder to open with "here's what I felt" and "here's what I need," but it's the only version of the conversation that actually goes somewhere.
We've learned the hard way that words matter, but so do timing and tone. The same sentence can land like a grenade at night and like an invitation in the morning.
I used to think that if I could just find the right words, my husband would understand exactly what I meant. But marriage has taught me that sometimes the words aren't the problem. Sometimes it's the tone, the timing, or what the other person is already carrying when they hear them.
There have been times I've had to stop and ask, "Did you hear what I meant?" And there have been times when he's had to gently explain himself again because what I heard wasn't what he was trying to say.
We've learned that repeating ourselves isn't a failure; sometimes it's necessary. Rephrasing, clarifying, slowing down, or asking, "Can you tell me what you heard?" can keep a misunderstanding from becoming an argument.
We're still learning this. Still practicing patience. Still learning how to choose gentle words when we feel anything but gentle.
Because the goal isn't simply to say what we mean.
The goal is to understand each other. "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry" (James 1:19). That wisdom has saved us more than once.
Full disclosure: I want to be sincere in my writing. I remember a night when my husband and I were having a hard conversation. He was sharing his heart, and I cried the whole time. Not because he was being hurtful, but because his words pierced my heart. I realized I had been so focused on my own pain, hurt, and anger that I had forgotten about his.
After our conversation that night, I had to spend time with God, surrender all my shortcomings, and ask for forgiveness. That moment changed something in me. It reminded me that listening is more than waiting for your turn to speak; sometimes it means letting your guard down long enough to really hear the person you love. It's really hard to hear your spouse's version of the story when you are completely convinced you already know the story. We all have our version. Our perspective. Our memories. Our feelings.
And let's be honest, we are all capable of being completely mean and destructive at times. But God wants us to walk in grace and forgiveness. It's not easy, but it's possible. And when we're hurt, it's so much easier to point across the room and explain everything our spouse did wrong than it is to stop and ask God, "What do You want me to see in me?"
That question has cost me some pride over the years. It's uncomfortable to go looking for what's mine to own in a moment when I feel completely justified. But almost every time I've actually asked it and meant it, God has shown me something. Sometimes it's a tone I didn't notice. Sometimes it's an old wound that had nothing to do with my husband but everything to do with how I reacted to him.
That's where the real work begins.
Because sometimes the goal of a hard conversation isn't to prove your side. It's to understand theirs. And sometimes it's to let God show you where your side needs work too.
There's a kind of compassion that carries someone else's pain with them, and there's a carrying that quietly turns into resentment because you never set it down. Learning the difference has been part of learning how to have these conversations without losing ourselves in them.
We've had to learn that when we sit down to talk, we're not sitting across from an opponent. We're sitting across from the person we love.
You can disagree without becoming enemies. The goal of a hard conversation isn't to win; it's to understand, to take responsibility, and to find your way back to each other.
As Ephesians 4:2–3 reminds us: "Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace."
We're not there to win. We're there to understand. We're there to come together.
None of this makes the hard conversations easy. It just gives us a way to keep having them without tearing each other down, which, 12 years in, has turned out to matter more than being right ever did.
Sometimes love sounds like, "I need a little time. I don't want to say something out of anger, but I'm not walking away from this conversation. We'll come back to it." That single choice to pause without abandoning can change the shape of a marriage.
Arguments have a way of tempting us toward extremes. In the moment, shutting down or walking away can feel safer than risking words we'll regret. But there's a world of difference between taking a healthy pause and emotionally abandoning a conversation (and the person you love). When we say, "I'm done talking about this," it can become a wall, a kind of self-protection that quietly locks the other person out.
What we've learned is that it's possible to step away without walking away. The key is communicating, "I need some time to cool down, but I'm not leaving this conversation or you."
Choosing to stay connected doesn't mean staying in the argument. That distinction has changed the way we handle conflict in our marriage.
You can disagree without becoming enemies.
You can pause the disagreement without abandoning each other. It means showing up again, after you've had space to breathe, to finish the conversation with humility and care.
Listening to understand rather than to prepare your defense requires setting aside pride. Pride wants to win the argument, but love wants to protect the relationship. James 1:19 says, "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry." That's not just wisdom for the world outside; it's life-saving inside a marriage.
Coming back after you've cooled down, ready to listen and to finish the conversation, builds trust. It's a way of saying, "I care more about us than about being right."
Keeping relationship over being right is the thread running through our marriage. Through it all, these are the choices we keep making:
Pause without abandoning.
Listen without defending.
Speak without attacking.
Own your part without keeping score.
Come back.
Anyone can walk away. Love is what brings you back to the table ready to listen, ready to try again, ready to understand something you didn't understand before.
Sweet friends, you are not alone. These conversations are uncomfortable yet necessary. Please pray, pause, and come back; let love bring you back to the table again and again.
And hopefully, one day you'll be like us, laughing at yourselves when you misunderstand each other or mishear, or when you're trying to clarify what was said. Over time, the hard conversations don't feel so hard anymore. They start to look more like two best friends figuring things out together, making sure you stay on the same page and sometimes, just laughing at yourselves along the way.
.png)
.png)

Comments
Post a Comment