Grieving the Growing Seasons


I didn't expect that one of the hardest parts of motherhood would be grieving seasons I prayed for. This year marks another end of an era for our family. Last year we left homeschooling behind, and my boys got one sweet, unexpected year together at the same elementary school. Now that season is ending too, and this time they're headed to two separate schools.

And if I'm honest, I'm grieving.

Not because I don't want them to grow, but because I loved every season that brought us here.

I'm beginning to see them more as young boys than my little babies. They're making more of their own decisions, discovering who God created them to be, and needing Mommy in different ways.

Please don't misunderstand me, they still need me. But it's different now.

The clinginess that once exhausted me has slowly disappeared. The separation anxiety that once broke my heart has been replaced with growing confidence. The constant cries of "Mommy!" are becoming conversations about friends and dreams.

The very prayers I've prayed since they were growing in my womb are unfolding before my eyes.

Lord, help them become kind. Help them be confident. Teach them to love You. Help them grow into the men You've called them to be.

Now I see the fruit of those prayers, and somehow, my heart feels joy, gratitude, pride, and grief all at the same time. I've had to learn that those things are allowed to sit in the same room together.

There's a particular kind of ache that comes from watching a prayer get answered. You spend years asking God to grow their confidence, and then one day he walks into a room full of strangers without looking back for you, and the answer to your prayer is the thing that makes you cry in the car afterward.

Motherhood is full of holy goodbyes. No one really prepares you for that.

There are so many "lasts" you never realize are happening until they're gone. The last homeschool morning around the family room table. The last time they reach for your hand without thinking.

Nobody rings a bell on the actual last day. Life doesn't let you savor an ending while you're still inside it. You only recognize it once you're standing on the other side, looking back at a door that quietly closed.

Scripture has always told us this would come. To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven. A time to hold, and a time to let go. I've quoted that verse to my boys more times than I can count, when they wanted to rush ahead before they were ready, when something they loved didn't last. It's easy to hand a child that truth when you're the one standing on solid ground, watching them go through the hard thing.

I never imagined I'd be the one who needed it. That I'd be the one caught in a season-ending, blindsided by how different it feels to live a verse instead of just teaching it.

Each goodbye quietly makes room for a new beginning.

Leaving homeschooling behind last year came with its own tears. I cried more than I expected to that first week. I joined the PTO because I felt God nudging me to, plain and simple. I didn't understand why at the time; I just knew I was supposed to say yes. It wasn't until I was actually there, showing up week after week, that I realized why God had asked me to be in that building.

That year was its own strange, beautiful mix, challenging in ways homeschooling never was, and yet so sweet: walking them in some mornings, catching glimpses of them together in the hallway, watching them build memories together. It gave me one more year near them before this next parting, the one where they finally scatter into two separate schools.

And this new beginning already has two faces I know by heart, one entering middle school, the other stepping into first grade. My oldest will make new friends and find his footing. My youngest will step into his classroom with wonder all his own. They'll each have their own stories now, ones I won't witness minute by minute the way I have until now.

And my role is changing too.

I'm learning that motherhood isn't about holding on tighter. It's about walking beside my children while slowly opening my hands to the God who loves them even more than I do.

He formed them before I ever held them. He knew them in the womb before I ever whispered a name over either one.

Long before they were my sons, they were His. Children are a heritage from the Lord, entrusted to us, not possessions we get to keep exactly as they are. That's a truth I keep relearning every time another season ends.

I'm no longer called to manage every moment of their lives. I'm called to guide them, pray over them, cheer them on, and remind them that no matter how big they grow, they'll always have a place to come home.

Some days that feels like enough. Other days it feels like handing something priceless back to the One who gave it to me, trusting His plans are better than mine. No one really tells you how holy that kind of surrender is.

It would be easier if I were letting go of a season I didn't enjoy. But I'm releasing one I treasured: our homeschool mornings, the conversations around the kitchen table, simply getting to be with them every day.

If I'm honest, I would have gladly kept that season forever.

But God never intended motherhood to be about keeping our children little. He designed it to prepare them for the life He's already planned for them.

I don't believe He's asking me to stop loving what was, only to trust Him with what comes next.

He's already in the middle school hallways and waiting in the first grade classroom, already preparing the teachers, the friendships, the challenges, and the victories long before my boys ever walk through those doors.

There's an old promise about training a child in the way he should go, so that when he's grown he won't depart from it. It used to feel like a promise about behavior. Now it feels like a reminder that faithful parenting never loses its value.

Those mornings around our kitchen table weren't wasted. They were roots, and roots continue to nourish long after the tree grows beyond where we can reach.

I've noticed something else during this transition.

It isn't only my sons who are growing.

God is growing me.

For years, part of my identity was wrapped up in being their teacher, the one who knew every lesson, every schedule, every need before they could even ask.

Now the Lord is gently asking me,

"Who are you when they no longer need you in the same ways?"

That question has exposed places in my heart I didn't know existed.

Was my identity found in being indispensable…

or in simply being faithful?

Motherhood has never been about making ourselves irreplaceable. It's about faithfully preparing our children for the next season God has for them.

That doesn't make the letting go easier.

It simply makes it meaningful.

Mothers farther down this road all say the same thing: the ache doesn't disappear; it changes shape into pride watching your children thrive, gratitude for the people who love them well when you can't be there, and quiet confidence that God's care never ends where yours cannot reach. 

My oldest carries this transition, scared of the new and unknown, but excited underneath it. My youngest carries his own kind of courage, full of determination to be exactly himself, mischievous smile and all.

They're both stepping into something new.

So am I.

This fall there will be mornings when the house feels quieter, moments when I catch myself looking toward the kitchen table where our homeschool books once sat. I'll probably cry more than I expect.

And that's okay.

Because grief isn't proof that I'm resisting God's plan. Sometimes grief is simply evidence that something beautiful existed.

This season is stretching my faith because letting go isn't losing them. It's trusting God with the children He entrusted to me.

Growing is beautiful.
Sometimes… growing also means grieving.

And I've learned that God is present in both the holding and the letting go, the last homeschool morning and the first day of a brand new chapter.

He was faithful in the season I'm mourning.

He will be faithful in the season I cannot yet see.

So here I stand at the edge of something new, open hands and a tender heart, trusting the same God who carried us through every homeschool day to lead us through every hallway, every classroom, and every season still to come.

Because in the end, this story has never simply been about my children growing up.

It has always been about all of us growing closer to Him.

I still don't know how to hold gratitude and grief in the same hand without one spilling into the other. Some days I probably never will. But I'm learning I don't have to solve that tension to trust the One who's holding it with me.

I didn't expect that grieving these seasons would become part of loving my sons well. But it has. And I wouldn't trade either one, the grief or the growing, for anything.

If you're standing in a season of letting go right now, watching some part of your motherhood quietly close its door, I want you to know you're not walking through it alone.

Maybe yours looks different: a nursery you're finally emptying, a last baby who just started kindergarten, a child who no longer needs you to check under the bed for monsters. Whatever season you're grieving right now, I'm walking through mine right alongside you.

You're allowed to grieve what was even as you celebrate what's ahead. Both can live in the same heart without canceling each other out.

The same God who was faithful in the season you're leaving behind is already waiting for you in the one ahead.

He is present in both the holding and the letting go.

Comments

Popular Posts