We Were Never Meant to Do This Alone


 I was visiting a dear friend recently, and somewhere between the conversations, the laughter, and simply sitting together, I was reminded of something motherhood doesn't always teach us until we're living it.

We need each other.

Motherhood has a way of consuming every part of us. Our days become filled with school schedules, meals, laundry, appointments, practices, bedtime routines, and countless little moments that require our attention.

We pour ourselves into raising our children, making sure their needs are met, their hearts are cared for, and they know they are deeply loved. But somewhere in the middle of caring for everyone else, we can forget something important.

Mothers need care too.

Motherhood can feel incredibly isolating, even when you're surrounded by people. You can have a house full of children, a calendar full of activities, and still have moments where you quietly wonder, does anyone really see how much I am carrying?

Sometimes you ask that question of God, because you don't know who else to ask. And sometimes, if we're honest, we don't ask it at all. We pretend. We smile and say, "I'm fine," when someone notices, because the truth feels too heavy to explain, and admitting we're struggling can feel like admitting we're not enough.

So we keep going. We keep caring for everyone else while quietly hoping someone will notice that we need care too.

That question doesn't always have an easy answer. But over the years, I have learned this much:

The right friendships don't erase the hard days or solve every problem. They don't magically make motherhood easier.

They do something just as important.

They remind us that we were never meant to carry it all alone.

Sometimes God answers the quiet prayers of a weary mother through another woman who simply says, "I see you. I'm here."

Some friends bring laughter when you've forgotten how to slow down and enjoy the moment.

Some bring wisdom when you're questioning yourself.

Some pray for you when you don't have the words.

Some encourage you when you feel like you're failing.

And some simply sit beside you in the hard places, reminding you through their presence that you are not alone.

As we talked, I found myself thanking God for this friendship, and for so many friendships like it.

She has celebrated my boys' victories, cared for them, and loved them well. But she is not the only one. She is one of many women God has placed in my path over the years, each showing up in her own way.

There are not many people I would trust with my children. Trust is built over time, through consistency, faithfulness, and kindness, through seeing someone love your children even when there is nothing in it for them.

They are strengthening your heart as a mother.

When someone loves your children well, they aren't just blessing your kids. They are strengthening your heart as a mother, reminding you that the weight you carry is important.

I think often of the women God has used throughout my boys' lives. Women who stepped in during ordinary moments and extraordinary seasons, who loved my children like their own, who opened their homes, offered encouragement, and prayed over my family in ways they may never fully understand.

Sometimes we think the biggest acts of love have to be grand gestures. But often, it is the simple things that stay with us the longest.

I remember a time when a friend offered to babysit my kids so I could rest. It was just one hour. To someone else, it may have seemed small. But to a tired mother, carrying a lot and needing a moment to breathe, that hour was a gift. It told me that someone saw me, someone understood, someone cared enough to say, "Let me carry this for a little while."

I remember another season, a hard one for our family, when a friend made dinner and brought it to our door without being asked. She didn't have the perfect words, and she didn't try to fix what we were facing. She simply loved us in a way that reminded us we weren't walking through it alone.

I have also been that mom to others. I have run carpool, watched other people's children, cleaned up in someone else's kitchen, picked up groceries, and checked in on friends when I could tell life felt heavy for them. I never did it to keep score or wait for recognition. I did it because I understand the weight mothers carry, having carried it myself, and I know how powerful it is to say, "I see you. I know this is hard. You don't have to do this alone."

This is how it was always meant to work. We carry each other in turns, and the carrying moves in both directions.

This is what godly community looks like when it's lived out in the ordinary, often unnoticed moments of motherhood.

It's a village with Christ at the center, women choosing, day after day, to reflect His love through simple acts of faithfulness. Moms who show up. Moms who say yes when it's inconvenient. Moms who pray. Moms who encourage. Moms who speak life into weary hearts. Moms who carry one another's burdens and celebrate each other's victories.

The world may overlook these quiet moments, but heaven does not. This is how God builds His Kingdom, through ordinary women faithfully loving Him and loving one another.

This is the beauty of biblical community. This is the village every mother needs.

That kind of love, given freely and received humbly, is rare enough to notice. It doesn't ask what it will get back. It shows up on ordinary days as much as hard ones, and somewhere along the way it stops feeling like a favor and starts feeling like family. That is the kind of love that leaves a mark on a story that lasts long after the moment itself is forgotten.

One of the greatest gifts we can give our children is letting them witness healthy, Christ-centered relationships. They notice who walks through our front door, who prays with us, who stays when life gets messy. They are learning that family isn't always defined by blood. Sometimes God writes people into our lives who become family simply because they choose to love us faithfully.

Motherhood was never meant to be a journey we walk alone. God created us for community and connection, to encourage one another, carry one another's burdens, and remind each other of His goodness.

Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 reminds us: "Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor. If either of them falls down, one can help the other up."

What a beautiful picture of motherhood. Not perfection. Not having everything together. But women linking arms and saying, "I am here. I will walk with you."

I left my friend's house with a grateful heart, not because all of life's challenges disappeared, but because I was reminded of the beauty of doing life alongside people who point me to Jesus and love my family well.

To every woman who has loved my boys, encouraged me when I was weary, opened your home, shared your wisdom, prayed for our family, or simply showed up when we needed it most: thank you. You may never fully know the impact you've had on our lives, but God does.

The hour of rest mattered. The meal mattered. The ride mattered. The encouragement and the prayers mattered. Your kindness became part of our family's story.

Motherhood is lighter because of women like you.

We spend so much of motherhood believing we are the ones raising our children. But along the way, God is also using His people to help raise us. That has been one of His sweetest gifts to me.

Because while we are raising our children, He is surrounding us with women who remind us we were never meant to do it alone.


Prayer

Lord, thank You for the women You have placed in my life, and for the ones You've let me love in return. For those reading this who feel surrounded by community, thank You for their gift, and help us never take it for granted. And for those reading this who feel like they are walking motherhood alone right now, waiting and praying for a friend who shows up, we ask You to be near to them in that waiting. Lord, would You bring the women they need, in Your timing, and would You help all of us become that kind of woman for someone else? Build Your Kingdom through us, in the ordinary, unnoticed moments of motherhood, whether we are the one being carried or the one carrying. Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts