The Rice wasn't made my way
I was out of town for my birthday, and when I came home, my youngest couldn't wait to tell me everything that had gone wrong while I was away.
With complete sincerity, he said, "Mommy, Daddy was dying. Everything was awful. He couldn't cook. He couldn't even make rice."
Then, as if this were the real tragedy, he added, "I wasn't going to eat it because he didn't do it like you, Mommy."
I was trying so hard not to laugh as he recounted, in vivid detail, all the hardships he had apparently endured in my absence.
Later, my husband looked at me with a grin.
"You're enjoying my nasty rice, aren't you?"
"I am," I laughed.
Then he told me what really happened.
While he stood at the stove making dinner, our son stood right beside him the entire time, offering a steady stream of instructions.
"No, Daddy. That's not how Mommy does it."
"Mommy cooks it this way."
"You're doing it wrong."
True to his word, our son didn't eat the rice because Daddy hadn't made it the way Mommy makes it.
We laughed about it for days.
But after the laughter faded, it made me think about marriage, parenting, and what it really means to build a life with someone who is not exactly like you.
Our children notice our differences before we ever point them out.
They know Mom and Dad each have their own way of doing things. One cooks a certain way. One folds laundry a certain way. One responds differently. One handles situations differently.
Somewhere along the way, our son had quietly decided that Mommy's way was the right way and anything else was a downgrade.
And honestly? I get it, because I've felt the same thing.
I tell people all the time that my husband is a slow cooker. Nothing rattles him. He can take the exact same information I have, sit with it, let it simmer, and stay steady through the whole thing.
I am more of an Instant Pot. I take those same ingredients, and I'm up to pressure in thirty seconds flat.
Same ingredients. Completely different process. And somehow, we still end up at the same meal.
It's so easy to hold up my way as the standard and quietly measure his against it, like slow is somehow less than fast, or calm is somehow less than passionate.
But different doesn't automatically mean wrong. It simply means different.
His slow cooker steadiness has kept our home from boiling over more times than I can count. When I'm up to pressure and ready to blow, he's usually the one reminding me to slow down, breathe, and trust the process.
I think this applies to parenting too.
How often do we look at our spouse and think, "Why don't they do it the way I do it?"
One parent might be structured, the other flexible. One quick to correct, the other quick to comfort. One thinks through every detail, the other reminds everyone to slow down and enjoy the moment.
And just like the rice, we can convince ourselves our way must be the better way.
What if the very things that frustrate us about our spouse are the things our children need most?
Our kids don't need two parents who are exactly the same. They need two parents who love them, guide them, and are willing to work together.
I might notice the details he misses, and he might see the bigger picture I overlook. I bring the nurturing, he brings the steadiness. I remember every appointment and permission slip; he remembers to stop and breathe.
Neither of us is the complete parent alone. Together, we cover the places where the other is weak.
The Bible tells us that two are better than one because when one falls, the other is there to help them up. And when God is woven into that relationship, like a cord of three strands that is not easily broken, we become stronger than we could ever be on our own.
That isn't just true in ministry or friendship. It's true right here in our living room, in the ordinary, messy, beautiful work of raising these boys.
Sometimes the very thing you want to correct is the very thing God is using to hold your home up when you can't hold it up alone.
To the parent reading this who feels like you carry the weight of everything, I see you.
I know how easy it is to look at your spouse and think, "Why don't they notice what I notice? Why don't they do it the way I do it? Why does it feel like I have to explain everything?"
And to the parent who feels like they are always being corrected, I see you too.
I know how discouraging it can feel when your efforts are measured against someone else's way of doing things. Sometimes you aren't trying to do it wrong; you are just trying to do it differently.
The truth is, parenting is hard enough without making our spouse feel like they have to earn their place on the team.
Your spouse doesn't need to be your replacement. They need to be your partner.
There will be things you do better. There will be things they do better. There will be moments where one of you carries more because the other is tired. There will be seasons where one of you is stronger because the other is struggling.
That's not failure.
That's family.
Give each other room to grow. Give each other room to learn. Give each other the same grace you hope they give you.
Your spouse was never meant to be your copy, and your parenting was never meant to look identical.
Your children are not looking for two perfect parents who do everything the same way. They are looking for parents who love them, love each other, and show them what humility, forgiveness, patience, and teamwork look like.
Sometimes the greatest gift we can give our children is not getting everything right. It's letting them watch Mom and Dad choose each other again and again.
Partnership isn't only about our differences. It's also about the ground we stand on together.
My husband and I don't cook rice the same way, and we don't process life the same way either, but we want the same things: for our sons to know they are loved without condition, for our home to feel welcoming, for our marriage and parenting to point toward something bigger than ourselves.
Those shared convictions are the soil everything else grows from, the reason we can disagree on the method without it becoming a threat to the relationship.
What I love most is that, in spite of our differences, he's willing to learn from me, and I'm willing to learn from him.
He's learned when to let my pressure release on its own and when to gently turn the dial down for me. I've learned that his silence isn't distance; it's just him working things out at his own pace, and I've learned to trust that instead of rushing it.
He motivates me. He makes me better, not by trying to change who I am, but by showing me a steadier way to carry things. And I hope I do the same for him, that my fire lights something in him too, that I nudge him toward things he might not reach for on his own.
That's what partnership actually looks like. Not two people who happen to live in the same house, but two people willing to keep learning each other for as long as they're given.
Comparison tears down. Encouragement builds up. Competition creates division. Celebration creates unity.
I think about the Bible describing the body of Christ as many parts: an eye, a hand, a foot, each one different, each one needed. I think God designed marriage the same way. He didn't create two identical people and place us in one home. He created two different people, on purpose, so together we could become something stronger.
I'm fully aware of my strengths and weaknesses, and I'm sure my husband knows his as well. Instead of comparing what each of us brings, we get to celebrate it, even when it doesn't arrive wrapped the way we would have wrapped it ourselves.
Unity was never about becoming the same person. It's about two different people choosing, over and over, to move in the same direction.
And through all of it, we both know God comes first.
Not my way first.
Not his way first.
God first.
He's the steady center we're both learning to move toward, even when we're getting there by completely different roads.
The rice wasn't made my way.
But it was made with love.
A slow cooker and an Instant Pot don't work the same way, and they were never supposed to.
But put them both in the same kitchen, aimed at the same table, and somehow they make the same meal.
Even if the rice was, according to one very honest child, absolutely terrible.
So if your marriage looks nothing like ours, if your rhythms don't match, if one of you is the slow cooker and one of you is the Instant Pot, don't spend one more day measuring one way against the other.
Different was never the problem.
It is the whole point.
God didn't put two identical people in your home. He put two different ones, so you'd need each other, and need Him, more than either of you could ever admit on your own.
The next time your differences frustrate you, try looking at them differently.
What if the thing that annoys you is actually the thing God gave you to balance you?
What if the difference you want to change is the very gift your family needs?
Work together.
Learn from each other.
Celebrate each other.
And maybe, just maybe, say thank you for the rice, even if it's terrible.
Because sometimes the best meals, and the best marriages, are made by two completely different people who simply chose to stay at the same table.
.png)

.png)
Comments
Post a Comment