Behind Every Door: A Prayer for the Marriages We Don't See


 "But when you pray, go into your room, close the door, and pray to your unseen Father. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." — Matthew 6:6

We are constantly bombarded with pictures of perfect families.

Perfect marriages. Perfect date nights. Perfect children. Perfect homes. Perfect relationships.

Books tell us what we should and shouldn't do to become better wives and husbands. There are podcasts, reels, articles, courses, and countless opinions telling us how to communicate better, love better, parent better, and somehow get it all right.

But sometimes I find myself wondering. Do we really know what is happening behind closed doors? Because what we see isn't always the whole story.

Lately, I've found myself thinking about marriage more than usual. God has placed a particular couple on my heart, and I've felt led to pray for them. I don't know what God will do in their situation, or what the outcome will be.

So I'm praying and trusting God to do the rest.

At the same time, I'm watching marriages around me struggle. Some are hurting deeply. Some are hanging on by a thread. And some may be heading toward divorce.

And if I'm honest, it makes me wonder.

Where is God in all of this?

Why are so many marriages hurting? Why do people who once promised forever find themselves so far apart? Why does love sometimes become buried beneath years of hurt, disappointment, exhaustion, and unresolved pain?

I don't have all the answers. But perhaps that's part of what God is teaching me right now.

So instead of looking for answers, I've found myself looking back, back to a season when I was the one whose marriage needed prayer covering it too.

Because not too long ago, I was there too.

There was a time when my own marriage experienced its own struggles. I know what it feels like when things aren't easy. I know that marriage can bring out places in us that need healing. I know how quickly frustration can become distance and how easily two people who love each other can find themselves hurting one another.

That's why I don't look at struggling marriages with judgment. I look at them with empathy. With a heart that understands that marriage is hard.

And the inner work is hard. Surrender is hard.

It is hard to look at yourself honestly and ask God to show you the places that need to change. It is hard to surrender pride, expectations, control, resentment, selfishness, and the desire to prove that you're right.

It is hard to say, "God, work in me," when everything in you wants to point at what your spouse needs to change.

And sometimes the work God wants to do in us isn't comfortable. Marriage can expose parts of us we didn't even realize were there.

Because marriage isn't simply a promise we make at an altar. It's a daily choosing.

Choosing to love when it's easy. Choosing to love when it's hard. Choosing each other again and again, not because every day feels like the wedding day, but because the covenant means something even when the feelings change.

Choosing patience when you're frustrated. Choosing forgiveness when you're hurt. Choosing humility when you want to be right. Choosing to communicate when silence feels easier.

But let's be honest about something.

It is hard to trust when you've been broken. It is hard to love when love has been defiled. It is hard to walk in grace when you've been mistreated. It is hard to forgive when you've been betrayed, not once, but time after time.

It is hard when you've been manipulated. It is hard when you've been crushed by words, actions, disappointments, and wounds that seem to keep reopening.

And it is exhausting to keep fighting.

There are moments when you don't know if you have anything left to give. You want to keep believing. You want to keep hoping. You want to keep choosing love. But you're tired. Really tired.

And I don't want to minimize that. I don't want to offer someone who is hurting a simple, "Just pray about it," as if prayer means the pain isn't real. Because pain runs deep when trust has been broken.

When the person you trusted with your heart becomes the person you fear will hurt it again, rebuilding isn't easy. Forgiveness isn't always a single moment. Trust isn't automatically restored because someone said, "I'm sorry." Healing can take time.

And sometimes loving someone does not mean ignoring what happened, pretending it didn't hurt, or refusing to acknowledge what needs to change.

Sometimes loving someone means telling the truth. Sometimes it means boundaries. Sometimes it means seeking wise counsel. Sometimes it means asking for help. And sometimes it means surrendering the outcome to God because you have reached the place where you simply cannot carry it anymore.

Surrender doesn't mean giving up. Sometimes surrender means saying, "God, I cannot control this person. I cannot force change. I cannot make them understand. I cannot heal this wound by myself. So I'm placing it in Your hands."

And that may be one of the hardest prayers we ever pray. Because we want to fix it. We want answers. We want justice. We want the other person to finally understand what they have done to us. We want the hurt to make sense.

But sometimes God asks us to release what we cannot control and allow Him to work where we cannot.

There is another part of marriage and relationships that we don't talk about enough.

Sometimes it is hard to face reality. It is hard to deal with hard truths. It is hard when sin is sitting right in front of us, and the truth hurts. It is hard when God's instructions don't align with what our feelings want. It is hard when obedience requires us to do something our flesh doesn't want to do.

It is hard when we would rather avoid the conversation, bury the pain, pretend everything is fine, or protect the image than face what is actually happening.

Because sometimes the image becomes more important than the truth. We can become more concerned with how everyone thinks our marriage looks than with what our marriage actually is.

We can smile for the pictures. We can say, "We're good." We can keep showing up. We can keep the appearance intact.

And meanwhile, behind closed doors, something inside us is breaking. We're losing pieces of ourselves. We're becoming exhausted from pretending. We're living in darkness because facing the truth feels too painful.

But how can we glorify God in all of this?

Not by pretending. Not by protecting an image at the expense of truth. Not by ignoring sin because acknowledging it might make us uncomfortable, not by calling something healthy when it is hurting us.

God is glorified in truth. He is glorified when we are willing to bring what is hidden into the light.

He is glorified when we humble ourselves. When we repent. When we forgive. When we seek wisdom. When we admit, "I need help." When we stop trying to control the outcome and allow Him to work where we cannot.

And sometimes glorifying God doesn't look like having a perfect marriage. Sometimes it looks like two imperfect people being honest about where they are and allowing God to transform them from the inside out.

Because the goal isn't simply to look like a healthy marriage. The goal is to become people who reflect Christ within our marriage.

That requires truth. That requires surrender. That requires repentance. That requires grace. And sometimes, it requires courage to face what we desperately want to avoid.

That's why I pray.

Because I've needed that grace too. I've needed forgiveness. I've needed God to work on my heart. I've needed to surrender things I wanted to control. I've needed to recognize my own shortcomings. And I've needed to remember that my spouse isn't my enemy.

So when I see marriages hurting now, I don't see people who simply need to "do better." I see people who are hurting. I see people who need grace. I see people who may be fighting battles that no one else knows about.

And I pray.

I pray for softened hearts. I pray for wisdom. I pray for healing. I pray for forgiveness where forgiveness is possible. I pray for courage to face what needs to be faced. I pray for humility to do the inner work. I pray for the strength to keep going when someone is exhausted. And I pray for God to make His presence known in the middle of what feels impossible.

I can't fix someone else's marriage. I can't make their decisions for them. I can't control what happens next.

But I can pray. And I can trust the God who knows every conversation that has happened behind closed doors. The God who knows every tear that has fallen in private. The God who knows the hurt neither spouse has been able to put into words.

He sees what we don't. And maybe that's where faith comes in.

Sometimes we want answers before we pray. We want to understand the situation. We want to know who's right and who's wrong. We want to know what will happen next.

But prayer doesn't always give us answers. Sometimes prayer gives us a place to surrender what we cannot control.

So I'm praying for marriages. Not because I believe every marriage will look the way we want it to. Not because I believe every situation has an easy answer. And certainly not because I have marriage figured out.

I'm praying because I've been there. And because my heart aches for those who are there now.

Marriage is hard. Relationships are hard. People are complicated. We carry wounds, expectations, disappointments, fears, exhaustion, and things we don't always know how to communicate.

Sometimes we hurt the people we love most, not because we don't love them, but because we're hurting too.

And perhaps that's what God is reminding me in this season: we don't know the whole story behind someone's door.

So maybe instead of assuming, we should pray. Instead of judging, we should offer grace. Instead of comparing, we should be grateful. Instead of giving quick answers, let's sit with people in their pain.

And instead of asking only, "Where is God?" maybe we can begin asking, "God, what are You doing here, and how can I trust You in the middle of it?"

Because even when I cannot see what God is doing in someone else's marriage, I can trust that He sees what I cannot.

So for the couple God has placed on my heart, I will keep praying. I will surrender the outcome. I will trust Him with what I cannot control. And I will remember that their story is not mine to write. It belongs to God.

And for every marriage that is hurting right now, my prayer is simple:

Lord, meet them where they are. Don't let their pain be minimized. Don't let their hearts grow harder. Give them wisdom for what comes next. Show each person the work that belongs to them.

Give them courage to face what needs to be faced and grace for what cannot be changed overnight. Give them strength when they are exhausted. Give them wisdom when they don't know what to do.

Bring healing where healing is possible. Bring truth where there has been deception. Bring repentance where there has been wrongdoing. Bring comfort where there has been heartbreak.

And above all, remind them that they do not have to walk through their pain alone.

Because behind every door is a story. And only God knows the whole thing.


Comments

Popular Posts