When Triggers Are Misused: A Call Back to True Healing

 


I know what it feels like to be broken in places you didn't even know could break.
I know what it's like to carry wounds you didn't choose. Moments you didn't ask for, words you wish you could forget. People who left marks so deep that even years later, something small can send you right back there. A tone of voice. A certain look. A familiar feeling in the room.
I've been there. And by the grace of God —only by His grace—I'm further along than I once was. Not because the pain wasn't real. It was. But because I met a God who was willing to go into those broken places with me and do what I could not do for myself.

 

"Heal me, Lord, and I will be healed; save me, and I will be saved, for you are the one I praise."

Jeremiah 17:14

 

That prayer, I know it. I've prayed it in the dark, in the quiet, in the moments when I had no other words.

And He answered.

That kind of healing, the kind that costs you something, the kind that requires you to stay in the room with God when everything in you wants to run, changes you.

So when I write about triggers, I'm not writing from theory. I'm writing as someone who has had to learn, sometimes painfully, what triggers really are and what they are not meant to become.

Triggers were never meant to be weapons. They were never meant to be walls. They were always meant to be doorways into the healing that God has been waiting to bring.

These days, the word "triggered" is everywhere, but not always in ways that lead to growth, honesty, or freedom.

 

"A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back."

Proverbs 29:11

 

THE TRUTH ABOUT TRIGGERS

Triggers are signals. Internal alerts pointing to something deeper, something unresolved, something still in need of God's healing. They are invitations to pause, to reflect, to invite God into what still hurts.

But we have to be honest, there are moments when pain goes unprocessed, and instead of being surrendered, it begins to shape how we respond to everything.

When that happens, even good emotions like passion for justice, protection, or truth can become entangled with unresolved wounds. Not always intentionally. But deeply.

And it's worth asking ourselves gently but honestly:

"Am I responding from healing  or from hurt?"

"Is this situation really present, or is it touching something old in me?"

"What am I actually defending right now?"

Because sometimes what feels like conviction is actually activation.

Let's be clear: pain is real. Trauma is real. Emotional wounds are real. Some of what shaped us was never our choice. And for many, those wounds created real triggers, deep responses rooted in survival and protection.

That matters. And it deserves compassion.

 

"I will restore to you the years that the swarming locust has eaten."

Joel 2:25

 

He sees what was taken from you. The years. The innocence. The sense of safety. The version of yourself that existed before the wound.

He doesn't just acknowledge the loss. He promises restoration.

But I want to speak to something I've seen, and if I'm honest, something that has hurt me deeply to witness.

I have watched someone I care for deeply, someone carrying real pain, claim to be fine. Claim to be healed. And yet be so far beyond triggered that every fight became a crusade. Every conflict became a cause. Every disagreement became a battle for the voiceless, the wronged, the forgotten.

And from the outside, it can look noble. It can look like passion. It can even look like justice.

But what I've come to understand is this: A trigger operating through the lens of justice is still a trigger.

A deep sense of right and wrong, a fierce need to defend and protect, a burning feeling that something must be done- these can be beautiful God-given instincts. But they can also be wounds in disguise. Old pain dressed up in righteous clothing.

WHEN JUSTICE BECOMES A LENS

Fighting for what is right is not the same as being free. You can be loud for others while still being bound inside. You can carry a banner for the voiceless while your own unhealed places quietly drive every word.

That's not a condemnation. It's a caution. Because the enemy is clever, he knows that if he can keep our wounds active, he can use our best instincts against us.

Many of us don't recognize when old pain is shaping new reactions. We can feel strongly. We can feel justified. Even passionate.

But not every strong reaction is a healed one.

And I say that knowing I've been there too, feeling completely certain, completely right, completely on fire for something, and only later, in the quiet with God, realizing that some of that fire wasn't holy.

Some of it was just old pain that hadn't found its way to the altar yet.

Reacting quickly.

Defending intensely.

Interpreting everything through a lens of past hurt.

Living from internal survival instead of spiritual stability.

 

This is not a condemnation; it is an invitation. God does not expose us to shame us. He exposes us to free us.

So we stop. We turn inward. We ask God the harder questions, not "What is wrong with them?" but "What is this showing me about me?"

"God, why am I so triggered by this?"

"What wound in me does this situation touch?"

"What lens am I seeing this through?"

"Is this my assignment  or my unfinished healing?"

 

"Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."

Psalm 139:23–24

 

Triggers from the past don't stay in the past. They travel with us. They show up in our relationships, our convictions, our causes, sometimes without us even knowing it.

That doesn't mean your sense of justice is wrong. It means God wants to purify it, to strip away what is wounded and leave what is truly Him.

Instead of reacting from hurt, we are invited to respond from a place of healing. Instead of defending ourselves, we are invited to surrender. Instead of assuming we are right simply because we feel strongly, we are invited to pause and ask:

"God, what are You showing me in this?"

"Is this about now  or about something still unhealed in me?"

"What would it look like to let You lead this instead of my reaction?"

 

"Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, and give no opportunity to the devil."

Ephesians 4:26–27

 

So instead of asking, "How can I protect this?" what if we asked, "God, how do You want to heal this?"

Because yes, we have triggers. That's not the shame. That's not the failure.

Our bodies remember what our minds try to move past. And there is grace in that. The trigger is simply your story letting you know that something inside still needs the touch of God.

So we bring it to Him. We surrender it again and again if we have to, and we let God do what only He can do. Heal it. Restore it. Make it whole.

We are not meant to stay in survival mode. We are not meant to build identity around what hurts us. We are not meant to be led by reactions we never paused to surrender.

 

"If anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: the old has gone, the new is here!"

2 Corinthians 5:17

 

You are not who you were in the moment you were wounded. You are becoming someone new, not without triggers, but no longer controlled by them.

A woman of God recognizes her triggers and releases them. Not because she is weak. But because she is mature. Because she knows the difference between a reaction and a response. Because she has learned, through the grace of God, that she is no longer a slave to what hurt her.

 

You are not who you were.

You are not bound to what broke you.

You are not surviving anymore.

You are living.

 

Freedom is not just possible; it is promised. Healing is not just available, it is near.

We release again and again. We walk in His faithfulness. We walk in His goodness. Not until we're perfect, but until we are free.

 

"And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ."

Philippians 1:6

 

 

"He heals the brokenhearted

and binds up their wounds."

Psalm 147:3

Comments

Popular Posts