When It's Not a Trigger—It's Avoidance A Heart Reflection & Prayer
Scripture "Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." — Psalm 139:23–24
Heart Reflection
There are moments when something rises up in us, tightness in the chest, irritation, a sudden need to withdraw, and we're quick to label it a trigger. Sometimes, that label is accurate. Old wounds do resurface. Pain does echo.
But sometimes… It's not a trigger. Sometimes it's avoiding the language of healing.
Avoidance doesn't always look like fear. Often, it looks like self-protection. It feels justified. It sounds wise. It even borrows the words " growth boundaries, peace, and self-care. But beneath it, there's a quiet resistance to facing what's still tender, still unhealed, still asking for attention.
Avoidance says: "This is too uncomfortable." Healing asks: "What is this trying to show me?"
Avoidance is patient. It doesn't announce itself. It waits until something brushes against the tender place, a tone of voice, a moment of being overlooked, a conversation that goes somewhere you didn't expect, and then it moves quickly. Before you've even decided anything, you've already withdrawn. Already reframed. Already reached for the word that makes the retreat feel responsible.
And the word usually sounds right. It sounds like wisdom. It sounds like self-knowledge. Sometimes it even sounds like faith I'm protecting my peace. I know my limits. I'm not in a place for this right now.
But there is a version of that sentence that is true. And there is a version that is a long, slow negotiation with God about how close He's allowed to get.
The difference isn't always obvious from the outside. It may not even be obvious from the inside, not at first. But somewhere beneath the composed explanation, beneath the boundary, beneath the exit, there is something that knows. A quiet in you that isn't rest. A stillness that isn't peace. A settled feeling that is actually just distance.
God does not force us into healing. But He does not stop calling us toward it either. And sometimes that call comes disguised as the very moment we most want to leave.
Not every emotional response requires retreat. Some require us to stay not because staying is safe, but because what God wants to do there cannot be done from a distance.
Triggers alert us to pain. Avoidance keeps pain in charge. And God's healing doesn't promise comfort. It promises presence. The kind of peace that doesn't need anything kept at a distance to survive.
"What if the thing you keep calling a trigger is actually a door and God is on the other side of it?"
A Question to Sit With:
Is there something I've been calling a wound that I've never actually let God touch?
There is no condemnation in the asking, only an invitation to something more honest.
Prayer
Lord,
Search my heart gently and honestly. Reveal to me the places where I avoid instead of heal, where I retreat instead of reflect, where I protect my comfort more than I pursue Your truth.
Teach me to discern the difference between a wound asking for care and discomfort meant for growth. Give me the courage to sit with what feels unsettling, and the wisdom to invite You into every reaction.
Heal what still aches beneath my responses. Strengthen me not to escape but to mature. Lead me into peace that is rooted in wholeness, not avoidance.
I trust You with my healing, even when it asks more of me than I expect.
Amen.
.png)

.png)
Comments
Post a Comment