Marriage Was Never Meant to Be 50/50


When the Weight Isn't Equal, But You Don't Have to Carry It Alone

I remember a season when my kids were little, and I was overwhelmed. Mommy duties, house duties, wife duties, all of it stacked on top of me until I couldn't tell where one role ended and the next began. I felt so alone in it, like I was doing it all by myself.
One morning I was standing at the sink doing dishes with worship music playing, and I started to cry. Not loud crying, tears sliding down while my hands kept moving through the water. My heart was sad. I was beyond tired, the kind of tired that sleep doesn't fix. I felt like I was disappearing into everyone else's needs while no one asked what I needed. I felt unseen and alone, even in a house full of people who loved me. So I began to vent to God, right there with my hands still in the water: He isn't helping. Doesn't he see all I do? Doesn't he see me?
And as I was venting, God began to change my heart. He asked me a question I wasn't expecting. Are you his helpmate? Just as your husband trusts you with the house and the kids, you can trust him to provide, to lead, to carry what I entrusted to him. He is the leader of this home, and his job is bigger than either of us realizes. It needs help too, just like yours. I didn't make you less than him or his replacement. I made you for him, a helper suited to him, the way I designed it from the very beginning. Not smaller. Not silent. Not without a voice or a need of your own. Suited to him the way one half of something fits the other, standing beside him, not beneath him.
I want to sit with that word a little longer, because I know it hasn't always been used kindly. For me, "helper" has never meant "smaller". Scripture even uses that word for God Himself, calling Him our helper, our ezer, again and again in the Psalms, a word that carries strength and closeness, not smallness. So this is what I hold onto with it now. My voice still matters. My needs still matter. If something is wrong, I still get to say so, and I never have to settle for less than love. What I've learned is that we were built to move as one, each of us carrying something the other can't carry as well. He needs me the way I need him. We were designed to complement one another, and neither of us is less because of what we were made to carry.
Then God let me see who I had actually been listening to. I realized I had been agreeing with a voice that wasn't His, a voice that kept whispering that I was basically a single mom even though I was married. I began breaking that lie right there at the sink and aligning my thoughts with what was true.
That morning changed how I hear something most of us have been told our whole lives, a phrase that sounds so reasonable I never used to question it.
We've all heard the phrase. Marriage is 50/50. You do your half, I'll do mine. You carry your responsibilities, I'll carry mine. You meet me halfway, and I'll meet you halfway.
It sounds fair. It sounds balanced. It sounds like the formula for a healthy marriage.
But standing at that sink taught me something the formula never could.

Marriage was never meant to be 50/50.

Not because one person should always give more. Not because one spouse should carry everything, and certainly not because one person gets to take advantage of the other. It's simpler than that. Life doesn't divide itself evenly, and neither do seasons.
There will be seasons when one of you has more capacity than the other. Seasons when one person carries more of the physical load while the other carries more emotionally. Seasons when one person is exhausted, overwhelmed, struggling, or needs to be carried for a while, and then the roles reverse. That's not necessarily an imbalance. Sometimes it's just teamwork. Two are better than one, because when one of us falls, the other is right there to help us up.
My husband and I have learned that we are a team. We don't do the same things, and we don't carry every responsibility down the middle. We each take care of certain areas, and together we keep moving in the same direction.
The more I have walked into motherhood, the more I've realized how easy it is for me to look at what I'm carrying and think, "I need more help." There have been mornings just like that one at the sink when I've prayed, "God, I need him to step in here. I'm tired of handling this." Some of those prayers came from a legitimate place of exhaustion. But God kept showing me something deeper.
I viewed marriage as a list of tasks, focusing on my responsibilities rather than his.
And God began changing the question. Not "who is doing more," but "are you both working toward the same goal?"
Because sometimes marriage is 80/20, or 70/30, or even 90/10 for a season. Roles and burdens shift, and that's what being a team is all about.
The goal isn't to make sure the scale never tips. The goal is to know that we're on the same team when it does.
When I need help disciplining the kids, my husband covers me. When we talk to our children, even if we approach things differently or carry different responsibilities, we agree on what we're trying to teach them. We're not pulling in two directions; we're pulling in one.
And that's where I think the enemy loves to get in. It's the same lie I heard at the sink, just wearing a different outfit. If he can get us focused on the scoreboard, he can get us distracted from the mission. Look at what they're not doing. Look at how much you've given and how little they've given. Look at how tired you are, how much easier they have it, how they didn't notice, how they didn't appreciate you. And suddenly we're no longer looking at our spouse as our teammate. We're evaluating them. And once evaluation takes over, resentment isn't far behind.
The truth is, most of us want to be acknowledged. We want our spouse to notice what we do, to say, "I see how much you're carrying." There's nothing wrong with wanting to be appreciated. But there is danger when appreciation becomes the determining factor in whether we're willing to love, because then marriage becomes transactional. I did this, so you should do that. I sacrificed this, so you owe me. I've been doing more, so I shouldn't have to do anything else. We start keeping records. We start building our case. And eventually, we're not loving. We're presenting evidence.
I know because I've been there, more mornings than I can count. And God met me there too. Not with condemnation. With grace.
He began showing me that I couldn't control what my husband was doing, but I could surrender what I was doing to Him. I could do my part. I could love, serve, communicate, ask for help when I needed it, and set healthy boundaries when necessary. But I didn't have to keep a running total.
God began teaching me to stop looking sideways at my husband's portion and start looking upward at Him. "Lord, help me do what You have called me to do." That prayer changed something in me. Because when I stopped constantly asking God to evaluate my husband's performance, I became more available for God to work on my heart.
I began seeing my husband differently. Not as the person who wasn't doing enough, but as a person who was doing his best too. A person who works hard, who carries things I don't always see, who has his own struggles, pressures, and disappointments just like I do. A person entrusted with something heavy, the same way I had been entrusted with the children.
And suddenly the question wasn't "why isn't he doing more?" It became, "how can we help each other carry what this season is asking of us?"
Marriage is a team. And teams don't win because every player does the same thing. They win because everyone understands the goal.
Sometimes one person carries more, and sometimes the other does. Sometimes one needs encouragement, and sometimes the other needs grace. Sometimes one needs to be corrected, and sometimes one needs to be covered. And sometimes the greatest act of love is simply saying, "I've got you. Go rest. I'll carry this one."
I realized how easy it is to become focused on myself, what I'm doing, what I'm carrying, and lose sight of my spouse's efforts. Pride can turn sacrifice into evidence and service into leverage, shifting my mindset from, "How can I give?" to, "What am I getting back?"
But love doesn't keep a ledger.
But softening toward him didn't mean losing myself in the process. That doesn't mean ignoring real problems, pretending everything is fine, or staying silent when you're overwhelmed. It certainly doesn't mean tolerating mistreatment. It means we stop making scorekeeping the foundation of our relationship. Instead, we get honest about what we need, honest about what we can't carry alone, and willing to work as a team rather than two people keeping separate accounts. We ask for help when we need it. We show up for each other when we can. And we let God carry whatever is left over, the parts neither of us can fix on our own. There is a difference between saying "I need help" and saying "Look how much more I do than you." One invites your spouse into the problem. The other puts them on trial.
What if the goal isn't equal? What if the goal is faithfulness? What if instead of asking, "am I getting my half," we began asking, "am I giving what God is asking me to give in this season?" I think back to that morning at the sink often, to the question God asked me there. Are you his helpmate? Not are you keeping score. Not are you doing your fair share. Not are you smaller so he can be bigger, or quieter so he can be louder. Just as you're trusting him with what I gave him to carry, I'm asking him to trust you with what I gave you to carry.
What if we trusted God enough to say, "Today I may have more capacity, so I'll carry more," and tomorrow, when our spouse has more capacity, they carry more, not to earn anything back, but because we are covenant people.
Paul says love is patient and kind. He doesn't hand us a formula for calculating whether our spouse has earned our patience. He tells us what love looks like. And perhaps that's the greater challenge, not getting our marriage perfectly balanced, but learning to love when the balance changes.
I'm still learning this. There are days when I slip back into measuring, when I notice what isn't being done before I notice what is, when that old lie tries to whisper again that I'm carrying this alone. And perhaps that's why I need grace too: my husband needs grace from me, and I need grace from him, but ultimately we both need grace from God.
Grace reminds me that my spouse isn't the source of my worth. He isn't responsible for making every sacrifice feel seen, and he isn't the one who completes me. God is teaching me to depend on Him first. To love my husband without turning my love into a contract. To serve without immediately asking what I'm getting in return. To communicate when I'm overwhelmed rather than quietly building resentment. To ask for help, without turning that request into an accusation. And to remember that doing more in one season doesn't make me more valuable. It simply means this is the season I'm in.
I may need to be carried more. Maybe my husband will. Maybe we'll both be strong. Maybe we'll both be exhausted. One of us may have more to give while the other has barely enough to get through the day.
I don't want to spend those seasons measuring who carried more. I want to see my teammate as someone carrying a different burden, who might be tired or fighting unseen battles, and who doesn't need me to keep score. I hope he sees me the same way.
I want us to be able to say, "I've got this one. You take that one." Or, "I know you're tired. I'll carry it today." And sometimes, "I can't carry this right now. I need you."
Not because we're keeping score. Because we're married. Because we're a team. Because we're called to carry each other's burdens, not measure them.

The goal was never to make sure the weight was divided perfectly down the middle. 
The goal was to make sure neither of us was carrying it alone.

Maybe that's what I've been learning. Marriage isn't 50/50. It's two people standing in the same house, looking at the same family, facing the same life, and sometimes carrying very different weights.
One may be carrying the children while the other carries the finances. One may be holding everything together today while the other is barely holding themselves together. Then the season changes; the hands change, the weight changes, the roles change. But we're still in the same house, on the same team, still choosing each other. A cord of three strands isn't easily broken, and I believe that's what our marriage is meant to be: him, me, and God holding the middle, keeping us from unraveling when either of us pulls too hard.
And when I look back at the moments when I was frustrated because I thought my husband wasn't carrying enough, I realize now that I was looking at my portion and forgetting to look at the whole picture. God was teaching me to put down the scale. To stop measuring. To stop evaluating. To stop asking, "Who is doing more?" And start asking, "Lord, how can I love well in the season You've given me?"
Because someday the weight in my hands may be different. Someday it may be heavier. Someday it may be his. And when that day comes, I don't want him wondering whether he's giving me enough. I want him to know that I'm beside him. Like I want to know that he's beside me. Not because we're always equal. But because we're together.
Not two people carrying exactly half. But two people willing to pick up what needs carrying, put down the scorecard, and keep walking in the same direction.
I still do dishes most mornings. Some days the worship music is still playing, and some days it's quiet. But I'm not the same woman who stood there crying, convinced she was doing it all alone. I know now I never was. I never am.

Comments

Popular Posts