What Rage Does to a Person — Over Time
It doesn't start loud. And that's what makes it so dangerous.
I know what rage looks like up close, not from a distance, but from the inside.
Growing up, I handled most things with my fists. Arguments, conflict, disrespect my first language was anger, and my hands usually finished the conversation. I don't remember every fight. Most of them blur together now. But there's one night I've never forgotten, not because of what happened, but because of what I felt. I was so full of rage that I punched a hole straight through the wall. I don't even remember what I was angry about. I just remember the feeling. Like something inside me had to get out, and it didn't care what it went through to do it.
There were other moments, too. I remember coming home one night covered in blood, not mine, and my mother looked at me, took it all in, and simply asked: "Is that blood yours?" I told her no. She let out a slow breath, told me to go shower, and walked away. No lecture. No shock. Just a mother who had learned to be relieved by the smaller things that at least her daughter was still standing.
That moment has stayed with me. Not because of what she said, but because of what it meant that she already knew to ask that question. Rage had already become normal in our home. In our neighborhood. In me.
I want to be clear: I grew up in a loving home with loving parents. What I'm sharing is not a reflection of them. This is about me. The anger I carried was mine. The choices I made were mine. Because beneath all of it, my rage and anger were coming from unresolved childhood trauma wounds I hadn't named, pain I hadn't processed, things I never learned how to say out loud. So instead, I let my fists do the talking.
I've seen firsthand what anger does to a person, not just in one moment, but over a lifetime. How it shapes you quietly. How does it become the default? How it feels like strength when, in reality, it's a wound that was never treated.
That's what this is about.
Here's what I had to learn the hard way: rage doesn't usually announce itself. It doesn't show up one day loud and obvious. It sneaks in quietly, disguised as something smaller.
It starts as:
— resentment left unspoken
— disappointment left unprocessed
— wounds that were never named
That was me.
I wasn't walking around thinking, "I'm an angry person." I was just carrying things. Old things. Heavy things.
And over time, all of that unprocessed pain had to go somewhere. It went into my fists. Into my words. Into the way I moved through the world.
Hate rarely appears all at once. It grows. It settles. It feeds on fear, offense, and all the things we never dealt with. And if you're honest with yourself right now, you might recognize some of that in your own story too.
We also live in a world that makes this worse. Outrage is everywhere. Division is normalized. And without even realizing it, hearts begin to harden. Mine did.
"Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks."
— Matthew 12:34
I used to think my anger was just how I was wired. But this scripture stopped me cold. What comes out of your mouth what comes out in your reactions, your tone, the way you treat people that's just what's already inside.
I wasn't just reacting. I was revealing.
I want to say something to the person reading this who grew up in the church, who serves on Sunday, who looks fine from the outside: rage doesn't skip over you. It just gets better at hiding.
Rage and hate are not just behaviors. They are indicators. They are telling you that something beneath the surface needs attention. That's what took me so long to understand. I kept trying to manage the behavior without ever addressing the root cause.
"Be careful… that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble."
— Hebrews 12:15
Bitterness is patient. It doesn't demand your attention right away. It just quietly grows, and before you know it, it's shaping how you see everyone around you.
I've lived this.
There were seasons where bitterness had taken over, and I didn't even realize it. I started seeing people through distrust, even the ones who loved me. I pushed people away without meaning to. I stayed guarded, always bracing for the next wound.
And I told myself that was wisdom. That I was protecting myself.
But it wasn't wisdom. It was a heart that had been quietly reshaped by pain.
It turns hurt into distrust. It turns disappointment into cynicism. And pain that never gets processed doesn't disappear; it just transforms into something heavier than it was ever meant to be
I need to be careful here, because I don't want anyone walking away thinking God wants you to suppress everything you feel. He doesn't. Anger itself is not a sin. Even Jesus got angry. There is such a thing as righteous anger at injustice, at harm, at things that genuinely grieve the heart of God.
But there's a difference between feeling anger and being ruled by rage.
"Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger."
— Ephesians 4:26
One moves toward truth and healing. The other moves toward damage and regret.
Rage dressed itself up as strength, and I believed it. I hurt many people. People who didn't deserve it. People who were just in the room when the rage had to go somewhere.
But it wasn't strength. It was destruction with a confident face.
God doesn't ask us to pretend we don't feel things. He asks us to bring what we feel to Him before it takes over. That's the surrender I had to learn. Not a one-time moment, a constant, daily practice of saying, "I feel this, and I'm not going to let it lead me."
"Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you."
— 1 Peter 5:7
He cares for you. Not just the cleaned-up version of you. The angry, hurting, still-working-through-it version of you. That's who He's inviting to bring it to Him.
Here's what I want you to know from my own healing journey:
God was never afraid of my anger.
He didn't flinch. He didn't turn away. Every time I brought it to Him- the rage, the trauma, the shame- He met me there.
I expected a correction. I found compassion.
"Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me."
— Psalm 51:10
David wrote that after one of the worst seasons of his life. He didn't clean himself up first and then come to God. He came broken and asked God to do the work. That's the prayer I had to learn how to pray. Not "Help me be less angry." But "Create something new in me."
The same heart that was capable of punching through a wall is capable of deep love, deep peace, deep compassion. I know that because I've experienced it. Not perfectly. Not without setbacks. But real, lasting transformation is possible. It doesn't come from suppressing what you feel. It comes from surrendering it. Constantly. Bringing it back to God every single time it rises up.
One of the most practical things God has worked into me over time is this: the pause. That moment between feeling something and acting on it. It sounds small. It is not small.
"Let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger."
— James 1:19
I spent years doing the opposite: slow to hear, quick to speak, quick to anger. And every time I skipped the pause, I paid for it. Something I said. Something I did. A relationship that took months to repair. A moment I couldn't undo.
The pause didn't come to me all at once. It was something God gradually grew in me through the healing process, through consistently surrendering, through showing up to Him again and again with the same emotions and watching Him meet me there every time. Little by little, the space between feeling and reacting started to grow. And in that space, I started to find a version of myself I actually liked, one who could feel something deeply without letting it drive.
That's what healing looks like in practice. Not the absence of anger but the presence of something stronger than it.
God is forming hearts that can stay soft in a world that keeps trying to harden them. That work happens in the pause. In the quiet surrender. In the decision, over and over again, to bring it to Him before you bring it to the person in front of you.
"Let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth."— 1 John 3:18
Real love, the kind that holds relationships together, that reflects God, shows up in what we do, not just what we say. And it's hard to act in love when rage is still running the show.
I'm writing this from a grateful heart.
Because I know what God can do. Not because I read about it, but because He did it in me.
I haven't arrived. But I'm not who I used to be.
Not living in reactive mode anymore, fists first, questions never. But learning to live with a responding heart. A surrendered heart. A heart still being shaped but moving in a completely different direction.
These strong emotions, the rage, the anger, the pain underneath it all, they don't have to be dead ends. In God's hands, they become opportunities. Invitations for Him to work on our hearts. Chances for us to respond in a way that honors Him.
I can look back now and see His fingerprints all over it. The transformation. The changes. The renewal. His grace and mercy are written all over my story.
That's what God does with the broken, angry, hurting places inside us.
He doesn't waste them. He redeems them.
Rage has a long memory. But grace has a longer reach. The question is which one we choose to follow.
A PRAYER FOR THE SURRENDERED HEART
Lord, I come to You with what I've been carrying. The anger. The hurt. The things I never knew how to say out loud. I don't want to manage it anymore; I want You to heal it.
Create in me a clean heart. Renew a right spirit within me. Teach me to pause before I react, to bring it to You before I bring it to anyone else. I'm grateful You don't turn away from the broken, angry, hurting places in me. Meet me there. Redeem what I've been holding. I surrender it to You today, and every day it rises up again.
In Jesus' name. Amen.
.png)

.png)
Comments
Post a Comment