Marriage Is Not a Performance

 

As I've been reflecting on the couples I've had the privilege of counseling, listening to, and advising, one word kept coming to mind.

Performance.

Not because every couple was performing. Not because what people show is fake. But because I kept thinking about how easy it is for any of us to become more invested in how something looks than in what it actually is.

It reminded me of those real estate home tours. You walk into a house, and everything is pristine. The floors are spotless. The counters are clear. The furniture is perfectly placed. The realtor walks you through, pointing out every feature: the beautiful kitchen, the upgrades, the spacious rooms.

For a little while, you can imagine your life there. You picture your family around that table. You imagine holidays in that kitchen. You see yourself on that porch. You're not just looking at a house. You're imagining a life.

But even while you're enjoying the tour, you know something. Looking at a beautifully staged house is not the same as living in it. Because once you live there, life happens. The floors get dirty. The counters get cluttered. The laundry piles up. Something breaks. Someone has a bad day. Dinner gets burned. The beautiful room becomes an ordinary room where real people live real lives. The house stops being a showing. It becomes a home.

The more I thought about that, the more I thought about marriage.

We do the same thing with our marriages that a seller does with a house before an open house. We show the best features. We frame the beautiful moments. We smile for the photograph. We post the anniversary dinner. We highlight what is working. There is nothing wrong with any of that; a well-kept house is still a house worth caring for.

The problem begins when the showing becomes more important than the living. When we spend more energy staging the marriage than we spend inside it.

You can stage a house for a showing. But you can't stage a life forever.

 

You can stage a house for a showing. But you can't stage a life forever.

The staging doesn't just change how our own house looks. It changes how we see everyone else's.

I'm sure there are couples in your life, just like there are in mine, that you look at and think, they are just perfect together. Maybe they inspire you. Maybe you look at their marriage and think, I hope we have that someday. And there may be couples who unintentionally make you feel less than. Their marriage seems stronger. Their connection seems deeper. Their life seems more put together.

But you have never once been inside their house. You've only ever taken the tour. You've seen the staged kitchen, the smiling photograph, the anniversary post, and you've quietly measured your actual, lived-in, laundry-piled, dishes-in-the-sink marriage against a listing photo.

We're comparing our whole house to somebody else's living room. We don't know what is behind their doors. And they don't know what is behind ours.

That isn't an invitation to become suspicious of everyone. It's an invitation to stop touring other people's houses and go back to tending your own. A photograph can be real and still not tell the whole story. A marriage can look beautiful and still need attention. And a marriage that looks ordinary, imperfect, or messy may be doing some very deep work that nobody else gets to see, because nobody else gets a tour of that house either.

And staging only works on people who never move in.

Scripture reminds us that people look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart. People see the photograph. God sees the heart. People see the ring. God sees the covenant. People hear what we say. God knows what we mean. People see how we treat one another in public. God sees how we speak when we're frustrated, and nobody else is listening.

We can create an image for people. But we cannot create one for God.

 

We can create an image for people. But we cannot create one for God.

 

And that should change something about how I come to Him. Not with the version of my marriage I'd show a stranger, but the real one, the room I've been avoiding, the conversation I keep putting off, the resentment I've shut in a closet so no one has to look at it. He already knows it's there. There's no staging that works on Him.

So what does it actually look like to stage a marriage instead of live in one?

It can look like having an argument in the car, walking into the restaurant smiling, and taking the picture anyway. It can look like saying we're fine because admitting you're struggling feels embarrassing. It can look like posting about how wonderful your spouse is while privately refusing to have the conversation you've been avoiding for months. It can look like spending money to maintain a lifestyle you can't afford, because you don't want anyone to know you're struggling.

Performance isn't only for the neighbors. Sometimes it happens between the two people themselves. It can look like keeping score. I did this for you, so you should do this for me. I apologized last time, you haven't done enough, why should I be the one who tries. Slowly, love becomes transactional. Kindness becomes conditional. Affection becomes something given when the other person behaves the way we want, withdrawn when they don't. At first it feels like fairness. Eventually, it becomes an accounting department, and nobody wants to live in one.

There is another kind of performance that doesn't photograph at all. It's the emotional roller coaster, the house that changes shape depending on the day. One day the doors are open, warm, welcoming. The next day you're not sure which house you're coming home to, reading the room before you say a word. Sometimes we genuinely need space, and that's healthy; there is a difference between saying I'm upset and I need some time, but I want to come back and work through this, and using silence as a way to lock a door on the other person. One is a room you'll return to. The other is a house you can't find your way back into.

None of this necessarily means there is no love in the house. Sometimes it means there isn't enough honesty yet to stop redecorating it and start repairing it. A marriage cannot grow around what neither person is willing to acknowledge.

 

Sometimes it means there isn't enough honesty yet to stop redecorating and start repairing.

The argument over dishes may stem from feeling unappreciated. The argument over money may be rooted in fear. The argument about the children may be about feeling alone. The argument about intimacy may be about rejection. If we only address the argument, we may never touch what lies beneath it.

That's why performance is so dangerous. It teaches us to fix the surface, move the mess, and put the picture back together, even when the foundation is what actually needs attention.

Paul writes that love is patient and kind, that it does not envy or boast. Love isn't described as a reward system. It doesn't say love is patient once your spouse deserves it, or love is kind once they've been kind first. That's not what makes this easy. It makes it serious, because it means we don't get to wait for the other person to go first. Someone has to walk into the house and start the real work, without any guarantee that the other person will meet them there. Sometimes that someone has to be me. But putting the scorecard down is about surrendering pride, never about tolerating harm, and if the house isn't safe, the work that comes first is getting out, not staying to fix it.

Foundation work isn't glamorous. It doesn't photograph well. It looks like a difficult conversation, an apology, a change in behavior, counseling, accountability, forgiveness, a boundary, a willingness to admit that what you've been doing isn't working. But repair is different from redecorating. One changes how the house looks. The other changes whether it can be lived in.

 

Repair is different from redecorating. One changes how the house looks. The other changes whether it can be lived in.

I don't wear my wedding ring for fashion. It's beautiful, but that's not why it matters to me. It isn't a status symbol. It isn't something I wear to prove the house is finished and worth showing. It represents covenant. Love. Respect. Commitment. Shared purpose. God united us in this house. So when I look at my ring, I don't want to think about how it looks to a passerby. I want to remember I have a part to play in what's actually happening inside these walls.

Surrendering my marriage to God doesn't mean asking Him to renovate my spouse while I stay out on the porch. The prayer I need isn't God, change them. It's God, show me myself. Show me where I'm defensive, where I'm keeping score, where I've stopped listening, where I've become more interested in being right than being loving. Show me what I've been asking my spouse to give that I haven't been willing to give first.

That's a harder prayer to pray. It's also the one that actually starts the renovation.

A faith-filled marriage doesn't mean a house without cracks. It means the cracks don't get the final word, because there is a willingness to bring the real thing before God. It means truth and love belong in the same conversation. Truth without love becomes cruelty. Love without truth becomes avoidance. A faith-filled marriage can say, I'm hurt, but I don't want to punish you. I need space, but I'm not withdrawing my love. I was wrong. I need help. God is dealing with something in me. That's not weakness. That's what it sounds like to actually live in a house rather than stage it.

I don't want an impressive marriage. I want an intentional one. Less energy protecting the image out front. More energy tending to what's actually happening inside. Noticing what needs repair doesn't mean the house is worthless. It means you've finally stopped touring it and started living in it. This isn't where we want to stay is one of the most hopeful sentences a couple can say, not because it fixes anything by itself, but because it means someone is finally willing to do something about it.

The visitors leave eventually. The pictures stop. The showing ends. And the people who actually live there are left with the house, cracks, repairs, and all. God isn't finished with it. He's still in every room.

 

The people who actually live there are left with the house, cracks, repairs, and all. God isn't finished with it. He's still in every room.

 

Marriage isn't a performance. It's a covenant. And a covenant isn't something you stage for an audience. It's something you live.


 

Comments

Popular Posts