|
"Cast your burden on the
Lord, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be
moved."
PSALM
55:22 (ESV)
|
A friend told me something the other day: "Stop carrying other people's burdens."
I laughed not because it surprised me, but because I thought I was doing well. I believed I was releasing, getting better at this.
And maybe I am. If I'm honest, it's still hard. Especially when your heart cares this deeply.
I know my heart engages with people on a deep emotional level. I feel what others feel. I carry the weight of what's shared with me. Because I know how easily I can absorb what isn't mine, I often check my heart with God. I ask for His help. I don't want to get in the way or let my emotions lead where only His Spirit should go.
But it's still difficult to sit with someone, hear them, and pray for them without feeling it. My heart cares deeply. I replay conversations, overthink, and my anxiety amplifies it.
So I do what I've learned: I vent sometimes over and over, letting the frustration, the heaviness, the ache without a name spill before God. When I pray, a little lightness seeps in; that release is real. Still, the question returns, quietly pressing: Am I still carrying too much? Am I truly letting go?
I don't always have a clean answer. But I've been sitting with the question. And the more I sit with it, the more I've had to look honestly at what caring deeply actually costs me and where that cost becomes something God never asked me to pay.
Here's what I know: when I make myself truly available, people unload grief, confusion, fears, and stories. I don't just hear; I feel it. I carry the emotional echo of their pain long after the conversation ends. Not because I'm weak, but because I care and refuse to be unmoved by others' pain.
I am grateful that people, Christians and non-Christians, feel safe enough to share their inner struggles and fears with me. Being trusted with such vulnerability is sacred. In a world where so many feel unseen, being a safe place is a privilege I hold dearly.
But at some point, I realized I started confusing being a safe place with being a storage unit. They're not the same. One receives, and releases; the other accumulates. I had been accumulating.
I've learned slowly and sometimes painfully that compassion and carrying are different. Inside, they feel nearly identical; both involve being moved and staying present with someone's pain. But they lead to different places.
|
COMPASSION VS. CARRYING
|
COMPASSION
I
see you. I'm with you. I will sit with you in this, and then I will help
you bring it to God.
|
CARRYING
This
is mine to fix, mine to hold, mine to solve, and I won't rest until it's
resolved.
|
|
Compassion enters pain and points upward. Carrying enters pain and stays absorbing responsibility never assigned to you, holding weight meant to be placed elsewhere. The line between them is thin, and leaders who love deeply often cross it unknowingly. Here's how it looks in practice:
|
When you speak the truth, and it's not received
|
COMPASSION
You
say what God placed on your heart, with love and care. You release how it
lands. You trust that the seed was planted, that God's word does not return
void, and that the work of conviction belongs to the Holy Spirit — not to
you.
|
CARRYING
You
replay the conversation for days. You wonder what you should have said
differently. You feel responsible for their resistance — softening the
truth, adjusting it, looking for a version they might finally accept — as
if their transformation depends on your delivery.
|
|
|
WHEN SOMEONE YOU'VE POURED INTO
MAKES A WRONG CHOICE
|
COMPASSION
You
grieve it honestly. You stay available without enabling. You continue to
pray for them, trusting that God is still at work even in the detour. You
do not take their choice as a verdict on your leadership or your love.
|
CARRYING
You
internalize their decision as your failure. You ask what you missed, what
you could have done more of, and whether you were present enough. You carry a
quiet guilt that was never yours — because you were never their Holy
Spirit.
|
|
One is love; the other slowly erodes your peace, clarity, rest, and, eventually, your relationship with God. When you are full of others' burdens, there is little room left to be still. A leader who cannot be still before God will soon have nothing left to give.
I am a truth speaker, but even truth spoken in love can still hurt. I've learned I can say the right thing, from the right heart, at the right time, and it can still land hard. That made me more measured, prayerful, careful about when I speak, and honest about what I carry after. Speaking the truth is one thing. Carrying its impact is another, and that was never mine to hold.
Scripture gave me language for this. In Galatians 6, Paul says: "bear one another's burdens" and "each will have to bear his own load." For a long time, it seemed contradictory. But it isn't. Some weights God calls us to help carry in moments of crisis that no one should face alone. Other loads belong to each person's journey, choices, and walk with God. Those aren't mine to carry. And the weight of transformation never was.
The hardest lesson: we can advise, guide, and love deeply, but we aren't responsible for transforming hearts. That's God's job. Some people will receive what we offer, some won't, and that must be okay. We cannot carry guilt for what others reject. Transformation is God's assignment. Ours is obedience: speak, love, pray, and release the outcome to Him.
I've prayed through this truth many times. I have poured into, prayed over, and loved people only to watch them walk away unchanged or make heartbreaking choices. I had to learn, slowly and painfully, that their response is not a measure of my faithfulness. God did not ask for results, only my obedience. The rest is His.
I care deeply about people's souls. That hasn't changed, nor do I want it to. But I'm not God. The weight of someone's soul belongs on His shoulders, not mine. My role is to be a faithful vessel, not an exhausted one. Maturity comes from learning when to speak, when to be silent, and when to step back and let God act.
I walk with God intentionally. I pray not as a ritual, but as a lifeline. I ask Him to cleanse my heart after heavy conversations, sift what I'm feeling, and show me what is mine versus what is His. We must remain sensitive to the Holy Spirit and spend enough time with God to hear Him clearly, moving by His direction rather than our emotions or burdens. When depleted, we operate from wounds rather than His wisdom, losing what made us useful.
Yet I have confronted an uncomfortable truth: spiritual pride, quiet, subtle, and masked as faithfulness, believes that if I pray hard enough, care deeply enough, and stay available long enough, I can hold it all together for those I love. That my intercession alone stands between them and falling apart.
That is not intercession. That is control dressed in the language of love.
True intercession brings burdens to God and leaves them there. Prayer is not for picking up everyone's weight; it is where I lay those burdens down and walk away lighter. Some things I must witness, some I must pray for, and some I must release. Wisdom is knowing which is which.
Some
things are mine to witness. Some things are mine to pray over. Some things are
mine to release. The wisdom is in knowing which is which.
So am I carrying too much? That's the question I've been sitting with lately, not just in theory, but personally and sometimes uncomfortably.
And the honest answer is: sometimes, yes. I've learned this painfully by holding on to burdens that were never mine to keep. By staying in heaviness long after God had already said, "You can let that go now." By confusing loyalty with carrying, and endurance with absorption.
Now, I recognize the signs. I become quieter not from peace, but depletion. It's harder to be present in my own life because mentally, I'm living in someone else's. A heaviness sets in, a weariness sleep can't fix. Sometimes, quiet resentment grows not toward loved ones but the weight itself, which I chose to carry and struggle to release.
But I'm learning. I can empathize deeply and set boundaries. I can love people fully without absorbing their pain. I can listen without taking on what they should lay at God's feet. These aren't opposites; they require intention, practice, and honest self-examination earned by facing hard questions.
Yes, I experience depletion. But there is growth, too. Spiritual maturity isn't measured by how much I hold, but by how well and quickly I release.
The most spiritually grounded people I know aren't those who carry the most, but those who quickly, completely, and trustingly bring their burdens to God, even when situations remain unchanged. They pray and release, intercede and let go, and love people without taking on responsibility for outcomes beyond their control.
Prayer is not just about receiving burdens; it is also about returning them. Every burden has a rightful Owner, and it is not me.
A
PRAYER OF RELEASE
"God, I bring this to You.
I care. I love. I intercede. I refuse to be unmoved by what moves You. But I
release what is not mine to hold because You never asked me to carry it. You
asked me to trust You with it. So here it is. It's Yours."
The Psalmist understood this in a way I'm still growing into. In Psalm 55, David is in genuine anguish, betrayed, surrounded, and overwhelmed. He doesn't pretend otherwise. He doesn't perform peace; he doesn't feel. But in the middle of that raw pain, he arrives at something decisive: cast your burden on the Lord. Not manage it more gracefully. Do not carry it with a better posture. Cast it. The word implies a forceful, intentional, deliberate act of letting go.
"Cast your burden on the Lord, and he will sustain you;
he will never permit the righteous to be moved."
PSALM
55:22 (ESV)He will sustain you. Not just the people you're praying for. You are the one who listens, who stays, who shows up, who speaks truth even when it costs something. His sustaining grace is available to the intercessor, too. But you have to open your hands first.
I don't have this fully figured out. I want to be honest about that.
There are still days I pick things back up after I've already laid them down. Still moments when I mistake heaviness for holiness, when I think staying burdened somehow proves I care. Still conversations I replay in the dark, still people I carry in a way that costs me more than it helps them.
But I am learning. Slowly, and not always gracefully, I am learning.
I'm learning that releasing is not the same as abandoning. That trusting God with someone's journey is not the same as turning your back on them. That you can love deeply, pray fervently, and still open your hands.
And if you've read this far, I think I know something about you.
You're the one people call first. The one who remembers what others said three conversations ago. The one who prays for people who don't even know they're being prayed for. You feel things deeply not because you chose to, but because that's simply how God made you. And somewhere in the middle of all that loving and listening and showing up, you've started to wonder if it's too much. If you're too much. Is caring this way sustainable? If anyone sees what it costs you to be the person everyone leans on.
I see it. And more importantly, God does.
He is not asking you to stop caring. He is not asking you to harden yourself or love from a safe distance. He is asking you to bring it to Him. All of it is the worry you're holding for your friend, the grief you absorbed from that conversation last week, the silent weight of knowing too much about too many people. He's asking you to open your hands and let Him take what was always His to carry.
Because something is waiting on the other side of release. Not emptiness. Not indifference. Something more like rest. Like clarity. Like being able to love people again fully, freely, without being crushed by them.
God does not need your depletion. He needs your surrender.
Cast it. All of it. And let Him be who He has always been — the One who carries what we cannot, and sustains us while we learn to let go.
For some of us, laying things down does not happen all at once. Sometimes release looks less like a grand surrender and more like loosening our grip little by little, day by day, prayer by prayer.
And I think God knows that.
I think He sees the hearts that carried too much simply because they loved deeply. I think He understands the exhaustion behind the overextending, the ache behind the constant reaching, the sincerity behind the struggle to let go.
Maybe that is why His invitation is never cruel. Never rushed. Never condemning.
Just gentle.
"Come to Me."
MATTHEW
11:28Not because He is disappointed in us for being tired, but because He never intended for us to carry alone.
I learned this the hard way. But I know it now when to release, when to simply pray, and when to step back and allow God to do what only He can do. And yes, there are still moments when my heart holds more than it should. Still, there are times when I have to return to prayer and ask the Holy Spirit to help me let go of what my hands keep picking back up.
But here is what anchors me: God loves them as much as I do. Their lives matter to Him even more than they matter to me. He sees them. He is working on them. And He does not need me to carry what He has already promised to hold.
That truth is what sets me free. And I pray it sets you free, too.
Comments
Post a Comment