The Hardest Yes: When Obedience Means Stepping Away
"Whether
you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you,
saying, 'This is the way; walk in it.'" — Isaiah 30:21
We often
celebrate the moments when God calls us to move. To serve. To speak. To pray.
To step out in faith. Those testimonies inspire us because they remind us that
God still leads His people, that He is not silent, and that He still speaks to
hearts willing to listen.
But what about
when God's instruction doesn't make sense?
What about when
His voice tells you to stop instead of go? To be silent instead of speak? To
walk away instead of engage?
Those moments require a different kind of faith. A quieter kind. A harder kind.
Walking by faith
isn't simply believing God for the next open door. It's trusting Him enough to
obey every instruction He gives, even when it contradicts our emotions, our
desires, or what seems spiritually "right" in the moment.
There are seasons
when God gives clear assignments. We know exactly what He's asking us to do,
and we run with it. Then there are seasons when He appears silent, and during
those times, we often wonder if we've missed Him. We start filling the silence
with our own conclusions, mistaking activity for obedience.
I've learned that
God's silence isn't permission to create our own assignment.
His silence is
often an invitation to wait.
Waiting isn't passive. Waiting is active trust. It's choosing to remain faithful with the last instruction He gave instead of rushing ahead because we're uncomfortable with uncertainty. It's resisting the urge to fill the quiet with our own noise just to feel like we're doing something for God.
One day I left a
meeting carrying a burden I couldn't explain.
As I drove home,
I remember praying, "Lord, I don't even know what to say. I don't know what to
pray." I was exhausted physically, mentally, and spiritually, carrying a weight
with no name. When I got home, I lay down and fell asleep.
After I woke up,
I began talking with a close friend. During our conversation, something
happened that caught my attention. His words confirmed thoughts that had
quietly been stirring in my heart, and suddenly I sensed the Lord asking me a
question.
"Why do you want
to pray for this person?"
The question
stopped me.
I realized I had
never examined my motives. I assumed that because I wanted to pray, it had to
be the right thing to do. But God wasn't just looking at my outward action. He
was examining my heart.
Was I praying
because He had asked me to? Or was I trying to carry a burden that belonged to
Him? Or was I attempting to fix something He never assigned to me?
Then I sensed the
Lord speak with a firmness I had rarely experienced.
"Do not pray. Do
not intercede. Get away."
I want to be
clear: this was not God telling me prayer is wrong, or that intercession itself
is something to avoid. This was a specific instruction, for a specific
situation, at a specific moment in my walk with Him. His voice wasn't harsh,
but it carried authority. The kind of authority that doesn't ask you to agree,
only to obey.
I'll be honest. I
felt sad.
My heart wanted
to help. I wanted to stand in the gap, to believe for change, to intercede the
way I always had. But as I sat before the Lord, I had to be honest about what
was happening inside of me. Deep down, I realized I was not only acting out of
compassion. I was also acting from a place of self-righteousness. I had started
believing that my prayers, my involvement, my ability to help were necessary
in a situation that belonged completely to God.
Then I felt the
Lord reminding me:
"I am going to
deal with this person. This is not for you to intervene."
Those words
humbled me.
I knew God was
going to take care of the situation. Before our conversation ended, that same
friend spoke a warning I hadn't expected:
"You do not want
His wrath."
Those words
carried weight, not because I believed God was waiting to punish me, but
because I know what it costs to walk outside of what He's asked of me. I have
been in places before where I chose not to listen and obey, and I know what it
feels like to live in the friction of my own disobedience rather than the peace
of His will. I didn't want to trade that peace again.
So my response
was simple:
"I'm out. I don't
want to walk outside of His will again."
It wasn't spoken
out of fear alone. It was spoken out of reverence.
This wasn't the
only time God has asked this of me.
Weeks later, I
experienced another moment where God reminded me that His work is not limited
to what I can see.
I was doing a
favor for a friend, and I felt that familiar pull in my heart to intercede. My
first response was to pray, to stand in the gap, and to step into the
situation.
But before I
could, I sensed God stop me.
In that moment, I
became aware of His spiritual protection and the reality that He works through
ways we do not always understand. I believe God sent His messenger to help
redirect me and remind me that this was not my assignment to carry.
The instruction
was the same:
Do not intercede
for this. Leave it in My hands.
This time, I did
not wrestle with it. I recognized the Lord's direction, and I simply responded,
"I will not. I will leave it alone."
There was peace
in obedience.
That moment
reminded me that God sees what I cannot see. He knows what is happening in the
spiritual realm; He knows what needs to be handled, and He knows when I need to
step forward and when I need to step away.
"My trust is not in the messenger.
My trust is in the One who sends the message."
My trust is not
in the messenger. My trust is in the One who sends the message.
I've noticed that
when God asks something of me, it is almost always outside of my comfort. But
these moments, the ones where He says no, feel different. Not different in a
bad way. Different in a relationship way. The way a father speaks to a daughter
he trusts to hear him and obey without an explanation attached.
It is humbling to seek His wisdom, His knowledge, and His forgiveness. But it is also deeply honoring to have a relationship with God like this. One where He speaks, and I recognize His voice. One where He sends confirmation through people and through the heavenly ways I cannot always explain, but have learned to trust.
I have learned
that God's correction is an act of love. His boundaries are not meant to harm
us. They are meant to protect us. When God says step away, it is because He
sees what we cannot see. He sees the full picture while we only see the piece
directly in front of us, the piece that feels urgent, the piece that tugs at
our compassion.
God was not
asking me to abandon love. He was not asking me to stop caring. He was teaching
me that there are moments when the most loving thing we can do is surrender
someone fully into His hands.
Sometimes we step
in because we believe we are helping, but God may be saying, "Trust Me. I know
what I am doing."
He is the One who
sees the heart. He is the One who knows what needs to be corrected. He is the
One who can bring conviction, healing, and transformation in ways we never
could.
God wasn't
telling me that prayer was wrong. He was revealing that this particular
assignment was not mine. He was teaching me that obedience is greater than
simply doing what appears spiritual. Sometimes our desire to help can become
our desire to control. Sometimes stepping in can actually mean we are stepping
ahead of God, moving in our timing instead of His.
That moment humbled me.
Not every burden
is mine to carry. Not every battle is mine to fight. Not every situation is
mine to enter. And not every person is mine to intercede for when God is
telling me to step away.
True obedience is
trusting God enough to surrender even the people and situations we deeply care
about. It's believing that His hands are more capable than ours, even when we
cannot see what He is doing behind the scenes.
Sometimes faith looks like praying. Sometimes faith looks like waiting. And sometimes faith looks like hearing God say, "I have this. Let Me handle it," and having the humility to obey.
I think about
Isaiah 30:21 often now. This is the way; walk in it. We usually picture that
voice pointing us toward something. Toward the next step, the next assignment,
the next open door. But that same voice also says turn to the right or turn to
the left, and sometimes what it's really saying is turn back, stand still, let
go.
The voice behind
us doesn't only send us forward. Sometimes it holds us back, and that is still
guidance. That is still love.
I won't pretend
I've mastered this. I am still learning to be quick in my obedience, to listen
well to God's voice the first time He speaks, instead of needing to be stopped
in my tracks. But I am grateful that the more I walk with Him, the more I can
bring Him all of my heart. He sends the right people to confirm what He's
already speaking, and He gives me the grace to do better than I did the day
before.
He is still
writing that story. Not mine. His.
And I am
learning, one instruction at a time, that obedience isn't measured by how much
I do for God. It's measured by how willing I am to let Him do what only He can
do, and to trust that His silence toward me is never His absence from the
situation.
That's the walk
of faith I didn't expect to learn that day. Not moving forward. Standing still,
and trusting the Voice behind me anyway.
.png)

.png)
Comments
Post a Comment