Who We Are Behind the Door
A Marriage Devotional About
What Happens When Nobody Is Watching
Behind every
door, there is a story.
Some homes are
filled with laughter. Some are walking through grief. Some are raising children
and trying to keep up with life. Some couples are celebrating years together.
Others are quietly wondering how they became so distant.
And some
marriages look perfectly fine from the outside while, behind closed doors, two
people are struggling to find their way back to each other.
We don't always
know what happens behind someone else's door. And honestly, sometimes we don't
even recognize what is happening behind our own.
Marriage has a
way of revealing us. It reveals how we respond when we're tired. How we speak
when we're frustrated. Whether we can apologize when we're wrong. Whether we
can listen without preparing our defense. Whether we can forgive without
keeping score.
It's easy to love
when everything is going our way. But what happens when we're disappointed?
What happens when our spouse doesn't respond the way we hoped? What happens
when we feel unseen, unheard, or unappreciated?
That is where love becomes more than a feeling. That is where our faith becomes practical.
Scripture doesn't
tell us to pretend marriage is easy. It tells us how to walk through the hard
places, to be kind and compassionate toward one another, and to forgive each other, just as God in Christ forgave us.
Sometimes the
most spiritual thing we can do behind our own door is lower our voice.
Sometimes it's saying, I'm sorry. Sometimes it's choosing not to bring up
something from five years ago just to win today's argument. Sometimes it's
praying before responding. Sometimes it's admitting, I was wrong.
And sometimes it's recognizing that our spouse isn't our enemy. The person standing across from us may simply be another imperfect person who needs grace, just like we do. Peter reminds us that love covers a multitude of sins, and that there is no place where the truth matters more than behind our own door.
Heart Reflections
- Take a moment and ask yourself. Who am I behind my door? Not who do people think I am. Not who do I want people to believe I am. But who am I when I'm tired, frustrated, disappointed, and nobody else can see me?
- Do my words toward my spouse reflect the same grace I freely talk about giving others? Am I more concerned with being right than being loving? Have I allowed resentment to take up residence in my heart? Is there an apology I need to give? Is there forgiveness I need to begin walking toward?
And perhaps the
hardest question. What is God trying to change in me?
Marriage isn't about two perfect people. It's about two imperfect people who continually have the opportunity to surrender themselves to a perfect God.
Today, don't
focus on changing your spouse. Ask God to show you one thing He wants to change
in you. Maybe it's your tone. Maybe it's your patience. Maybe it's your pride.
Maybe it's your tendency to shut down. Maybe it's your need to win every
disagreement. Maybe it's unforgiveness.
Whatever He
reveals, don't run from it. Bring it to Him.
Then choose one
small act of love today that requires humility. Listen. Apologize. Give
affection. Speak encouragement. Put the phone down and be present. Pray
together. Or simply say, I love you, and I'm thankful we're walking through
life together.
Small choices made consistently can change the atmosphere behind a door.
Prayer
Lord, You see
what nobody else sees. You see the conversations behind closed doors. You see
the tears. You see the frustration. You see the laughter. You see the places
where we are strong and the places where we are struggling.
Lord, search our
hearts. Show us where pride has taken root. Show us where resentment has grown.
Show us where our words have wounded. Show us where we have stopped listening.
Teach us to love
the way You call us to love. Give us humility when we are wrong. Give us
patience when we are frustrated. Give us wisdom when we don't know what to say.
Give us grace when we are disappointed.
Help us forgive
without keeping score. Help us speak life rather than tear one another down.
And when we don't know how to find our way back to one another, remind us that
You are already there.
Lord, let our
homes be places where Your presence is welcome. Not perfect homes. Not homes
that look perfect from the outside. But homes where grace lives. Homes where
forgiveness lives. Homes where truth can be spoken with love. Homes where two
imperfect people keep turning back toward You.
Strengthen our
marriages. Heal what needs healing. Restore what has been neglected. Protect
what is worth protecting.
Sometimes
the greatest testimony isn't what people see outside our door. It's who we
become behind it.
In Jesus' name, Amen.
Heart check
- What is happening behind your door that you need to invite God into today?
- You don't have to fix everything today. Just open the door to God.
.png)

.png)
Comments
Post a Comment